Summary: The authority God has given Jesus Christ to literally (and physically) judge and punish those who turn away from the Father now begins to show. Jesus is no longer the sacrificial lamb, but acts in righteousness with unmerciful authority.
Trampling the Winepress
Revelation, Part 23, Revelation 14:17-20
- On His head is golden crown: signifying royalty and authority
- In His hand: a Sickle which has only one use: to harvest
-- Think of Jesus stepping to the edge of Heaven to reap what is His!
- An angel comes out of the temple and tells Him ………. to harvest!
-- This angel, I believe, is the one providing instruction to Jesus from Father
- All this time, 33AD to now – Jesus has waited to Harvest those who:
1. Have followed Him faithfully
2. Have worshipped Him unconditionally
3. Have given Him all the glory that he deserves
- Knowing what was before Him (the cross) and the command to reap …
-- He still knowing, willingly, lovingly offered Himself for your sin
-- No one needs Jesus more today than you and I; and those we see outside
-- Will you be among those? Will you be reaped for Christ or Satan?
- One thing is certain, is that nothing can escape the eyes of our Lord
-- We will be harvested either by the Lord of all creation (Jesus)
-- Or, by the Lord of this Earth (Satan)
-- The choice of who you will be reaped by is yours completely
- Read Revelation 14:17-20
Ω Point 1 – Judgment Angels
- This second angel that comes from the temple is heralding
-- Message is to Jesus Christ that the time to reap the harvest is upon us!
- The earth in its current state is beginning to rot and something must happen
-- It is time for Jesus to reap and remove those faithful to Him
-- Mankind is in such rebellion, it is important to see that the proclaiming of the Gospel is done by angels during this time, not by man
-- APP: But … God’s Word is still being proclaimed!
- Remember that men and women are being killed off left and right
-- These are martyrs for their faith, those who refuse the mark
-- Angels are proclaiming that the time is now to remove them
- These angels have a very important role
-- They are the ones who reap the Earth for not only God’s children
-- But also for those who have gone against the Gospel of Jesus Christ
- John is not only seeing the harvesting of the faithful
-- He is also seeing a glimpse of the harvesting of the unfaithful
-- These will be judged at the Great White Throne (Rev 20)
- How does this match up to your life? Are you ready to be reaped?
-- Are you ready to be taken up by the Son of Man now or later?
-- This is not only a message for tomorrow – but for TODAY as well!
- TRANS: Let’s examine a bit exactly what judgment means
Ω Point 2 – Harvest of the Vine
- Remember that God uses angels to get His work done as well
-- These angels are in heaven today, waiting for the Word to do their job
-- They have one purpose: to follow God without delay
- Matthew speaks very clearly about these angels:
-- Matthew 13:41-43 says “The Son of Man will send out His angels, and they will gather out of His kingdom all things that offend, and those who practice lawlessness, and will cast them into the furnace of fire. There will be wailing and gnashing of teeth. Then the righteous will shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. He who has ears to hear, let him hear!”
-- Matthew 24:31 says, “And He will send His angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they will gather together His elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.”
-- APP: This is for the church today!
-- We have to listen, we have to obey, and if we don’t we need to repent
- Remember that in heaven, right now, are these angels waiting to act
-- We have no time to waste for we will never know when they’ll be sent
- Understand that this Earth will be judged, it will pass away
-- God will use Israel to judge this entire planet
-- All nations on this Earth will seek out Israel for their own benefit
- The winepress is the literal (physical) judgment of God upon all nations
-- AND … this applies especially to those who come against Israel
- Challenge: Today, you may not come against this nation that you know of, but let me challenge you: Are you paying attention to the news?
-- Do you know what is going on in Israel?
-- Do you know of the proposed peace plan with Palestine?