Summary: Many thanks to Pastor James Childers for this outline! Get a burlap sack from feed store and put in it:A Bible, hammer, mirror, sword, old lantern, lighthouse, the word "Grace," a cross, dynamite, (home made out of postal tube, painted red with rope tied
GEN.43:19-24 "TREASURE IN YOUR SACKS"
A) Joseph’s brothers had gone to Egypt to buy food to live on because of the famine .......
* They did not know their brother at this time, so they bought the food with the money they had!
* Unknown to them, Joseph had ordered their money to be returned secretly to them.
* Joseph’s helper had put the money in their sacks!
B) Stopped for the night to rest, they discovered the money, and fear gripped their hearts!
* For they thought surely that they would be charged as thieves!
* Now they come back to their brother for more food and try to explain the money in their sacks!
* You cannot explain God! * Job 11:7 "Canst thou by searching find out God? canst thou find
out the Almighty unto perfection?"
* Ecc.8:17 "Then I beheld all the work of God, that a man cannot find out the work that is done
under the sun: because though a man labor to seek it out, yet he shall not find it; yea farther;
though a wise man think to know it, yet shall he not be able to find it."
C) Now we come to v.23! * Joseph’s servant said, "There is treasure in your sacks!"
* And he tells them Who put it there! * They were being blessed and didn’t see it!
* I wonder if the same thing might be happening to you and me! * We are blessed!!!
* We have some treasure in our sacks as well!
* Let’s look at what treasure we have in our sacks today!
(1) PULL BIBLE OUT OF THE SACK - WHAT A TREASURE!
* The Bible is a treasure because it is from God Himself - It is God-breathed!
A) Jer.23:29 says that God’s Word is like a hammer!
* A hammer is used for building ... For repair ... Nailing down things ...
B) James 1:23-24 says that God’s Word is like a mirror!
* Who do you see? * That’s why folk don’t read the Bible, it shows them who they are!
* It tells the truth about the things that are wrong in our lives!
C) Heb.4:12 says that God’s Word is like a sword!
* A sword is a weapon ... The Word of God is a weapon for us!
* It gives us ammunition to fight the temptations of the devil!
* A sword cuts and divides and so does the Word of God!
D) Ps.119:105 says that God’s Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path!
* The Word will show me where I’m standing and lead me where I’m going!
* When the storms of life are raging, the Word of God is like a lighthouse!
* To neglect it’s warnings is to suffer shipwreck!
E) Since the Bible is so magnificent, why are our Bibles dusty?
* Why do we cherish them as mantle pieces rather than opening the book and devouring it’s
content? * Why do we watch more television than we read God’s Word?
* I’ll tell you why ... We have forgotten what a treasure this book is!
* Think about the people in countries who don’t have Bibles!
* They are willing to give most anything to have just a page of this sacred text!
* Think of what the saints of old have sacrificed rather than deny this Book!
F) I’ll tell you, this Book is a valuable treasure!
* We don’t have to "figure things out" on our own, God has given us written instructions!
* He has given us promises to depend on, a glimpse of the future that we can focus on!
* In the trials of life we are not left without guidance!
* We just need to read the directions and do what it says!
G) When was the last time you picked your Bible up & viewed it as a treasured possession?
* Now, I don’t mean that it’s treasured because it is leather or was expensive or given to you by
someone who loves you! * I mean .......
* When was the last time you saw your Bible as a treasure because it gave you the Words of God
* What a treasure it is ... The Word of God!
(2) PULL "GRACE" FROM THE SACK - WHAT A TREASURE!
* One of the most spectacular gifts God has given to us is the grace that comes through Christ!
* Eph.2:8-9 "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is ......."
A) Some have the tendency to view salvation as something they have to earn!
* But salvation is not based on what we do, it is anchored in God’s gift to us!