Summary: The deepest most lasting joy does not come from things, but from a personal, intimate relationship with Jesus Christ.
TRIUMPHANT JOY #5: THE OVERWHELMING PRECIOUSNESS OF KNOWING JESUS
INTRO TO SPEAKER: Talk about camping and Caleb’s football game.
OPENING TEXT: “Finally, my brethren, rejoice in the Lord. For me to write the same things to you is not tedious, but for you it is safe. Beware of dogs, beware of evil workers, beware of the mutilation!” (Phil. 3:1-2, NKJV).
• As we come into the third chapter, Paul reminds us of his theme: Rejoice in the Lord!
THE BIG IDEA: The deepest most lasting joy does not come from things, but from a personal, intimate relationship with Jesus Christ.
I. PAUL’S PAST – HIS IMPRESSIVE RESUME:
“3 For we are the circumcision, who worship God in the Spirit, rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh, 4 though I also might have confidence in the flesh. If anyone else thinks he may have confidence in the flesh, I more so: 5 circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of the Hebrews; concerning the law, a Pharisee; 6 concerning zeal, persecuting the church; concerning the righteousness which is in the law, blameless. 7 But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ.” (Phil. 3:3-7, NKJV).
• Paul listed off an impressive spiritual resume of what he did for God.
• What’s on your resume? Maybe you have Christian parents, you’ve gone to church your whole life, memorized lots of the Bible, you’ve been involved in ministry.
• Paul says that all of those things are worthless compared to knowing Jesus personally!
II. PAUL’S PASSION – TO KNOW JESUS MORE:
8 Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish,
(Greek skubalon - the excrement of animals, rubbish, dregs of things worthless and detestable)
that I may gain Christ 9 and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith; 10 that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death. (Phil. 3:8-10, NKJV).
• Verse 10 is one of my favourite verses in the Bible – it’s my heart’s cry and passion!
“Yes, furthermore, I count everything as loss compared to the possession of the priceless privilege (the overwhelming preciousness, the surpassing worth, and supreme advantage) of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord…” (Phil. 3:8, Amplified).
• There’s nothing as importance, precious, awesome and valuable as knowing Jesus.
• This is the most important thing in the Christian life – do you know Him? Love Him?
HOW WOULD YOU ANSWER THIS QUESTION: WHO IS JESUS?
(Give the congregation an opportunity to respond).
“[For my determined purpose is] that I may know Him [that I may progressively become more deeply and intimately acquainted with Him, perceiving and recognizing and understanding the wonders of His Person more strongly and more clearly]...” (Phil. 3:10, Amplified).