Summary: Psychologists say that people need 3 things to make them happy. 1. Something to DO. 2. Something to LOVE 3. Something to LOOK FORWARD TO!
Psychologists say that people need three things to make them happy.
1. THEY NEED SOMETHING TO DO..
2 THEY NEED SOMEONE TO LOVE
3. THEY NEED SOMETHING TO LOOK FORWARD TO.
However, to be truly happy and satisfied we must make sure that we are doing the right thing, loving the right thing, and looking forward to the right thing.
A. SOMETHING TO DO
1. There are a lot of things that we can do to make us happy
2. I am happy when I go hunting or fishing
3. go see a friend or loved one
4. have fun with my kids
B. NONE OF THESE THINGS CAN SATISFY THE SOUL
1. Jesus Christ gives us what we need to do to find true satisfaction which will lead not
only to happiness but joy unspeakable and full of glory! –
SOME PEOPLE ARE HAPPY WHILE THEY ARE COMPLAINING
ILL.- Preacher Marvin Phillips tells about riding on a plane one time with an elderly couple seated next to him. They were talking louder than they realized and the wife was complaining, “I don’t like riding on these airplanes. Folks get on them with guns and knives and they take you places you don’t want to go.”
The woman’s frail little husband said, “Now, honey, it’s gonna be all right.” Marvin said “I smiled. We taxied to the end of the runway and took off. It was beautiful day for flying. And I didn’t think about the little lady anymore until our wheels hit down on the runway at the next airport.
“At that precise moment her husband said optimistically, “YOU SEE, HONEY, WE MADE IT ALL RIGHT.” And she shot back, “WE AIN’T THERE YET!”
Are you like that woman? Can’t see anything but the negative in most situations in life? If so, you’re a thief! You’re stealing the joy out of people’s lives!
A. BELIEVE ALSO IN ME(v. 1)
1“Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me.
1. Apart from a trust and faith in Christ no one will ever find true joy or satisfaction! We must
have confidence in Him as our Lord and Savior.
2. The woman at the well in John 4 had done a lot.
a. Married 5 times and living in adultery-- wasn’t satisfied—
b. When she trusted in Christ He gave her living water where her soul would never thirst again
3. Prodigal son in Luke 15 had done a lot.
a. He spent his time and money living rioteously.
b. He had partyed, he had the women, he had plenty of money.
B. But when the money ran out he found himself lying in pigpen unhappy and dissatisfied.
C.. But praise God he came home to the Father’s house and that is a picture of us leaving
behind the things that cannot satisfy and placing our faith in Christ!
D. Peter had plenty to do.
1. He was a fisherman. But he left all and followed Christ, and in Christ he found true
E. .Jesus is the way, the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father but by Him
F. Without Him there is void in a person’s soul that only He can fill!
II . Work for Me (v. 12)
12“The truth is, anyone who believes in me will do the same works I have done, and even
greater works, because I am going to be with the Father.
A. Jesus let’s us know that after we believe in Him there is still something to do—WORK
B. You and I have the privilege to be servants and ambassadors of the King of Kings and Lord of
C. Telling others about Jesus involves work
1.. Raising and nurturing our children takes work
2.. Working for the Lord is not a burden, but it is a blessing!
3. We have the opportunity to make an eternal and spiritual difference in mankind!
D. ASK FROM ME (vv. 13-14)
13And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the
Son. 14If you £ask anything in My name, I will do it.
1. We also have the wonderful privilege to ask from Christ
2. When we ask things in His name and in His will He will fulfill those requests!
3. Asking in Christ’s name means that we would ask what He would ask, and what would bring
glory to Him.
4. You can’t properly ask in His name without knowing His nature.
5. He will provide for us everything that we need that pertains to life and godliness!
6. He will give us the tools necessary to accomplish His purposes!
D. OBEY ME (v. 15)
15If ye love me, ye will keep my commandments.