Summary: This sermon looks at the need for believers to Trust and obey their Godly leaders to stand against false teachers to trust and obey the apostles doctrine and the Gospel experience of mercy and grace. That Christ can transform a life these are all reaso
1 Tim 1:1-20 Trust & Obey.
Authorship: Mid 60 AD
• Possible to be a time when Paul was released (After Acts) and shortly rearrested and finally martyred and some of the events mentioned happened during his time of liberty.
• Timothy was a close associate of Paul converted probably on Pauls 1st mission journey and was closely associated with Paul on his 2nd &3rd journeys Hence Timothy was a well loved brother and travelling companion in the Lord.
• Timothy was gifted in ministering to others, Paul charges Him to fan into flame the Gift he had received.
• 1, 2.Timothey & Titus are known as pastoral letters they address issues relating to the Church at Ephesus and Crete respectively.
• Both Timothy and Titus were trouble shooters with different dispositions (Timothy ,Timid and sickly, Titus strong & bold) yet both endowed with the gift to teach and manage the Church , sent on apostolic authority to rectify error and establish Godly leadership within the context of the local Church.
1:-2 Personal greetings:
3-11 The Gospel & its counterfeits:
12-17. Paul’s personal experience of Christ.
18-20 A Charge & warning to Timothy
Current Culture – The need to Trust and Obey
In our time there is a great need for Christians to trust solely in Christ & Obey the clear instructions laid down by the apostles and the whole of scriptures. We live in turbulent times when the gospel of Christ is under threat from within these walls and from outside these walls.
There is a very clear anti Christian mandate seen in the growing scrutiny & even persecution Christians are facing in recent years not in India &Iran but right here on these shores in the UK. Again and Again we here news of Christians coming under scrutiny for practicing their beliefs in the public sphere.
• A Nurse discharged for praying with a patient.
• A register dismissed for her refusal to marry a homosexual couples.
• The BA air hostess who was banned from wearing a cross at work
• A couple of hoteliers arrested for comments made on Islam.
• A open air preacher arrested for sharing Biblical views on homosexuality when asked.
• Only last week a couple from Cambridge who refused a same sex couple a doubled bed in the news.
All this is because of the growing secular PC agenda of our age found in politics and in the public sphere of governance with the European laws on human rights being implimentated it has caused new laws on the freedom of sexual orientation conflicting with religious freedom of thought and practice.
Even within the Church itself we have growing array of false teachers rising up aligning themselves up with the teaching of the day, filling the vacuum of uncertainty with a new Christian liberalism which seeks to replace the old order with a new. Those of us with long held evangelical Biblical convictions are under attack and some are even surrendering to the mindset of the Day (Consider Steve Chalk and his view on penal substitution) as cosmic child abuse .