Summary: 3 Elements of what trust is.
Trusting in God by Josh Gomez
I. What is Trust? (Ask for volunteers!!)
A. The Greek word for Trust is Pistis. This means – To have Faith, Confidence, and Hope that something will happen.
1. Story #1 (A friend trusted me that I wouldn’t let him fall. I didn’t catch him though. God is always faithful.)
1. Hebrews 11:8 - "By Faith Abraham, being called, obeyed to proceed to a place which he was about to receive for an inheritance, and he went out, not knowing where he was going." That is, Abraham not only accepted what God told him as being true, but also had enough confidence in it to act upon it (He obeyed). Ask for someone to read Hebrews 11:9. What if it was me? How about you?
1. 1 John 2:28 – “And now, children, abide in him; that, when he appears, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his coming.” Set the mood. (For Christ!)
1. Hebrews 6:17 – “God wanted to make the unchanging nature of his purpose very clear to the heirs of what was promised he confirmed it with an oath. God did this so that, by two unchangeable things in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled to take hold of the hope offered to us may be greatly encouraged.” Its not like God telling us to wear a chicken suit and laugh about it.
E. What if you don’t Trust in God?
1. Hebrews 11:6 – “Without Faith it is impossible to be pleasing to God; for it is necessary for the one who is approaching God to trust that he exists, and that he becomes a rewarder to those seeking him out.” Parents NAG!! How many times does it take for us to do something?
2. STORY #2 – My Mother as a child told me not to do something. But I Didn’t listen and something really bad happened.
F. How do I Acquire Trust?
1. Romans 10:17 - "Trust is from hearing, and hearing through the message of the Anointed One (Christ)" Believing in the bible!!! That’s all it takes!! The instructions booklet to Life!
G. The Antidote
1. St. John 13:38 – 14:1 “Jesus answered him, Will you lay down your life for my sake? Surely, I say unto you, the cock shall not crow, till you have denied me three times. Let not your heart be troubled: believe in God, and also believe in me.”
2. Trusting in the Lord is Jesus’ Antidote to a troubled heart! Jesus is the Healer of all broken hearts!
3. TELL ABOUT THE FOOT STEPS!
H. Alter Call – Closing