Summary: What prevents us from trusting fully in the Lord? This 3 point outline helps direct us towards a fuller understanding.
Trusting in the Lord in times of Stress and Great Upheaval
I have several questions to pose to you this morning
1. When was the last time that you called upon the Lord and prayed earnestly asking and trusting in him?
2. Why is it that we continually want to handle our own affairs, trusting in our own ways of solving issues that plague us?
3. What does it take to put the Lord back in Charge of our lives and situations?
Let me begin with my first point.
1. When was the last time that you called upon the Lord and prayed earnestly asking and trusting implicitly that he would save you from your fears and doubts and concerns and nothing or something happened?
1. Was it health related?
2. Tied to Financial matters?
3. Concern for your safety or for others?
4. Pending legal action?
5. A seemingly doomed relationship?
7. Or was it based on emotional needs, perhaps due to the death of a loved one.
It doesn’t matter how old or young you are…there comes a point in everyone’s lives when we can do no more on our own. We require the power and might or our Lord Jesus Christ to come into our situation and take charge.
What about you? Have you called upon the Lord trusting him to see you through tough times? Has anything stood in the way? What about your doubts and fears? Do you have a clean spirit? Have you forgiven unconditionally those who have harmed you?
2. Secondly, why is it that we continually want to handle our own affairs, trusting in our own ways of solving issues that plague us?
1. We are and see ourselves as independent, free spirits in charge of our lives. Having a free will requires discipline and resolve.
2. Perhaps it is because we are impatient and want problems and issues solved in our time, not the Lords. Are we too demanding? Easily frustrated? No what is best?
3. We do not fully trust what God might have in store for us. Perhaps he may not give us what we think we need. And for humans who are interested in doing things their own way this might just be too much to handle.
4. We may feel that to Trust the Lord may require that we give up something that we hold dear to us; our emotions, personal possessions, personal behaviors.
5. Our faith is lacking. The list goes on….
On my work computer I have a window saver that states, This is the Lord’s Business, In him I trust. This is one of the most effective ways I know of keeping in perspective my need to rely on the Savior to see me through another day of business. What have you done to reaffirm in your own mind the necessity of trusting?
3. My final point is the most awesome because it asks us to find a way to put the Lord back in Charge of our lives and situations. This is not an exhaustive list but gives us all a starting point for deep consideration.
Trust and trusting in God’s intervention requires several conditions to be present.
1. We must have a new spirit that comes from making a life changing decision to accept Christ as our Savior.
2. We must recognize that a lack of trust is human behavior and since it is a behavior it can be modified by reconditioning how we think about things in the spiritual realm.
3. We must become proficient at allowing God to take over our problems by putting into practice what we believe by faith.
4. We must bolster our faith by seeing how situations, conditions, issues, problems and concerns have been dealt with by other saints who have had the same unique human experiences.
5. We must accept that we cannot take the place of Christ and must work to become more Christlike.
What is your testimony? What has transpired in your life as a result in Trusting in the Lord? What can you attribute to the Lord’s direct intervention? His saving grace? His miracles? In times of great stress and upheaval how has the Lord ministered to your needs.
Patience should characterize the life of every believer who is trying to do God’s will.
Look to others who have a testimony of Trusting in the Lord. Ask them to share with you. Let them know your fears and doubts. Pray for wisdom and understanding and let the Lord come into your life more fully in this regard. Expect the best and the blessings to come.