Summary: We all deal with trials and tribulations each and every day, the world and Christians alike need to know the value of pressing through the tough times!
PRACTICAL CHRISTIAN LIVING
“Turning Trials into Triumph”
Have you heard:
“When life hands you a lemon make lemonade”
This is much easier said than done… but the idea is sound!
- it is biblical
- Many bible characters have shown that with God’s help they can turn defeat into victory, and trials into triumph.
- Instead of being VICTOMS they become VICTORS!!!
• We have the choice to be either VICTIMS or VICTORS
James tells us that we can have this same experience today
- whether it is trials on the outside
- or temptations on the inside
~ through faith in God and Christ Jesus we CAN experience victory
- Yea but how??
It is all a matter of ATTITUDE!
- Read Article
Let’s look deeper into the process of turning our trials into triumph…
I. COUNT/CONSIDER IT ALL JOY WHEN YOU FALL INTO VARIOUS TRIALS… (1:2)
A. James assumes that we WILL experience trials…
1. he doesn’t say “if” but “when”
2. This is because Christians must face trials
a. Jesus said in John 16:13
b. Paul said in Acts 14:22
3. the nature of these trials are “various”
a. some because we are human
• Sickness, accidents
• Disappointments, death
b. others because we are Christians
B. What should the Christian response be?--- COUNT IT ALL JOY
1. this was the attitude of
a. the apostles
c. The Christians
• 1 Peter 1:6-8 (READ); 4:12-14
2. So we must first ask God to help us adopt a JOYFUL attitude
II. KNOWING THAT THE TESTING OF YOUR FAITH PRODUCES PATIENCE… (1:3)
A. Having the right knowledge concerning the value of trials makes it possible to understand that…
1. Trials test out faith
2. Faith tested can bring out the best in us !
a. just as fire purifies gold
b. just as training makes the athlete stronger
3. With this understanding we can have joy in trials because we know that..
a. testing works for us not against us
• 2 Cor. 4:17
b. trials rightly used can make us mature
B. Faith tested produces patience
1. Notice Romans 5:3-4 (READ)
2. In the bible
a. patience is not a passive acceptance of circumstance.
b. The Greek word is HUPOMONE
• HUPO (UNDER), MENO (to REMAIN, to ABIDE)
• it shows the ability to exhibit steadfastness and consistency in the face strongest opposition.
c. is a courageous perseverance in the face of suffering!
3. Such a quality of steadfastness can come only through the experience of trials
III. LET PATIENCE HAVE ITS PERFECT WORK… (1:4)
A. To truly turn trials into triumph we must let patience do its work
1. Too often we want our trials to end quickly
a. SHORT AND SWEET
2. But there are times where we need to bear up under the trial patiently
B. For when patience has its opportunity to work it produces maturity
1. The word “perfect” does not mean sinless. But completeness, wholeness, maturity
2. The New Testament uses this word to describe those who…
a. who have attained to spiritual manhood in Christ
b. who have reached full understanding and maturity in spiritual matters
c. are no longer “babes” and immature persons in Christ
3. Much like an endurance runner
a. runs mile after mile patiently knowing that it will pay off.
4. if we want to run the spiritual race good we need to adopt patience
a. which comes through spiritual resistance training…. Or Trials
We need to have the knowledge and perspective that adversity can accomplish much good
We need to allow the patient enduring of adversity to accomplish its work
If you are united as it talks about in Romans 6:5-8 (READ) with God then He is calling you to use the strength He is giving you
If you have not yet been united with him then He is pleading with you today to use this opportunity to make it right with Him and become a child of His through baptism.
a. Romans 6:3-4
b. Acts 2:38
c. 1 Peter 3:21
Matthew 5:10,11 (READ)
When all this is done we can truly …
Turn our Lemons of Life into Lemonade