Summary: The sermon is based on the song "The Twelve Days of Chistmas" and give the meaning for each of the Gifts.
12 Days of Christmas
Intro. One of the responsibly of parents is to teach their children about the Lord.
-It is also part of the great commission.
Matthew 29:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
In England it became illegal for some groups(especially Catholics) to teach about God or the Bible. (1558-1829)
So a song was written to help children remember that things they needed to learn to be obedient Christians and good members of the Church.
The song was "The12 Days of Christmas"
Many believe it to be a silly song of things given to “my true love”
However, the “True love” in the song is actually speaking of God and His love.
Over the years a few of the items and the order was changed.
Each of the 12 Days represented an important doctrine, or passage a Scripture that they were to learn.
12 days actually come after Christmas; from Christmas Day to Epiphany. Or when it is believed the wise men came. 3 Kings Day.
Lets look at them one by one, starting with 12.
There is some question as to the truth of this story.
I. On the 12th day of Christmas my true love gave to meTwelve Drummers Drumming
The twelve points of doctrine in the Apostle’s Creed:
1) I believe in God, the Father almighty, creator of heaven and earth.
2) I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord.
3) He was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary.
4) He suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried. He descended into hell [the grave].
5) On the third day he rose again. He ascended into heaven, and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
6) He will come again to judge the living and the dead.
7) I believe in the Holy Spirit, 8) the holy catholicChurch,
9) The communion of saints,
10) The forgiveness of sins, 11) the resurrection of the body,
12) and life everlasting.
II. On the 11th day of Christmas my true love gave to me...Eleven Pipers Piping
The eleven Faithful Apostles:
1) Simon Peter, 2) Andrew, 3) James, 4) John, 5)Philip, 6) Bartholomew, 7) Matthew, 8) Thomas, 9) James bar Alphaeus, 10) Simon the Zealot, 11) Judas bar James. (Luke 6:14-16).
The list does not include the twelfth disciple, Judas Iscariot who betrayed Jesus to the Romans.
III. On the 10th day of Christmas my true love gave to me...Ten Lords A-leaping
The Ten Commandments: (Exodus 20:1-17)
IV. On the 9th day of Christmas my true love gave to me...Nine Ladies Dancing
The nine Fruit of the Holy Spirit:
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.. (Galatians 5:22-23)
V. On the 8th day of Christmas my true love gave to me...Eight Maids A-milking
The eight Beatitudes: 1) Blessed are the poor in spirit, 2) those who mourn, 3) the meek, 4) those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, 5) the merciful, 6) the pure in heart, 7) the peacemakers, 8) those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake. (Matthew 5:3-10)