Summary: Utilize the power of the twelve great promises contained in the most well known verse in the Bible.
Why John 3:16 offers the Greatest of the Great
John 3:16 gives us twelve of the greatest gifts every given. (See the following list)
Illustration:A certain medieval monk announced he would be preaching next Sunday evening on "The Love of God." As the shadows fell and the light ceased to come in through the cathedral windows, the congregation gathered. In the darkness of the altar, the monk lighted a candle and carried it to the crucifix. First of all, he illumined the crown of thorns, next, the two wounded hands, then the marks of the spear wound. In the hush that fell, he blew out the candle and left the chancel. There was nothing else to say.
1. God - The greatest lover of all mankind since His creation. Only the Lord has the capacity to love every one because He created us and knows us intimately. When we are fully cognizant of His great love than we will not look to any other for the love that satisfies the longing soul and fills the hungry soul with what is good.
2. So Loved - The Lord loves us in the greatest degree. There is no love that can exceed the depth, breadth, length and height of His magnificent love. Whenever you begin to wonder if His love is sufficent for your problem know that His love far exceeds any dimension of the human mind.
3. The World - The greatest audience. No one, except our great Jehovah can say that He knows everyone who has been come into the world from the seed of Adam and Eve. The Creator is the one who can speak to the hearts of everyone in the world simultaneously without any delay, distraction or distortion. His Spirit covers the whole universe without any hinderance.
4. That He gave - The greatest act in history occurred when the Father sent His Son, the Lord Jesus, to be a sacrifice for the sins of the whole world. The Father willingly offerred up His Son so that everyone can find a substitutionary payment for the forgiveness of their sins if they will just acknowledge their sin, believe in Him and ask Him to be the Lord and Savior of their life.
5. His only begotten Son - The greatest gift. Even though the gift of a new baby is wonderful it does not come close to the indescrible gift of Christ dying on the cross and resurrecting from the grave so that all who believe in name can have eternal life.
6. That whoever - The greatest opportunity. It is sad to note that approximately 90% of the world has failed to take advantage of the opportunity to be born again by saving faith in Jesus Christ. Billions will someday stand before the judgment seat of Christ and He will say, "I never knew you. Depart from me into everlasting fires in hell reserved for the devil and his angels." Oh please do not miss out in taking advantage of the opportunity given to you in this verse.
7. Believes - The greatest simple act to gain eternal life and forgiveness and deliverance from the penalty of our sins - hell, eternal separation from God and judgment. Only believe. The things that are impossible with men are possible for those who believe. Do not be like the demons who believe in God and tremble. Let your belief be a saving faith that acknowledges your sins, repents and turns toward God as your only hope for forgiveness, regeneration and a new birth through the entrance of the Holy Spirit of God in your life.
8. In Him - The greatest attraction - So many things allure people through the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes and the boastful pride of life, but these are not of the Father ,but are of the world. (I John 2:15,16) Preach Christ as the most attractive deliverer, Savior and Sustainer amidst life’s most perplexing troubles.
9. Should not perish - The greatest promise - Only Jesus Christ can offer assurance of salvation for those who place their faith in Him and ask Him to come into their life as Savior and Lord. When Christ assures you of deliverance from hell and misery He always delivers regardless of your background or problems.
10. But - The greatest difference - IN contrast to those who will perish, those who trust Christ for their eternal deliverance will live in eternity in heaven where all tears and sorrow will be wiped away and gladness and joy and praise of God will fill us with everlasting joy.
11. Have - The greatest certainty - When God gives you a gift there is no way you can lose it or have it taken away. You can be sure that whoever has the Son has eternal life and even though you may walk through the valleys of the shadow of death you will never have to fear evil because He is with you - comforting, protecting and guiding you all the way to heaven.