Summary: Don’t be afraid to share the testimony of our Lord.
OPEN YOUR BIBLES TO 2 TIM 1:8
1. There’s no reason to be ASHAMED of the gospel.
a. It’s the GOOD NEWS of Jesus Christ.
b. It’s the POWER of God to reach the lost and forgive them, and wash them, and change them.
Romans 1.16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek.
NOTE: So there’s no reason to be ASHAMED… but rather we are in AWE of the gospel of Jesus Christ. It’s awesome!
But so many live as if they are ashamed of the gospel…
• As if it’s something to be afraid of, and hidden.
• But the great news we find is that Jesus isn’t ashamed of us!
Hebrews 11.16 But now they desire a better, that is, a heavenly country. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for He has prepared a city for them.
He looks out at us, surveying the room among us saying…
• That’s my girl! There’s my boy! Look at the growth there.
• Look at the changes over here. If you only knew what she went through what he endured! He’s really hung in there!
• There they are, Calvary Chapel, changed by the gospel!
NOW THERE ARE, I KNOW, a lot of things in life, in our distant past, in our recent past that WE ARE ashamed of.
• Many of us don’t have that sparkling of a past. It’s true.
• A lot of us look back and say… ah man, I wish I knew then what the Lord has shown me now!
• What would have been if I was saved at 14 or 12 or 5?
• AND YET we are where we are and we’re here, because of the GOSPEL OF Jesus Christ… the GOOD NEWS.
• The HOPE for your future, the strength for today!
THE GOSPEL: it will free you… for sure.
• BUT it also can lead to imprisonment.
• That’s where Paul the Apostle is… in prison.
• And it’s from this prison, encouragement flows to his young protégé Timothy. Back in v6…
2 Timothy 1.6-7 Therefore I remind you to stir up the gift of God which is in you through the laying on of my hands. 7 For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.
STIR UP the GIFT… don’t let it go dormant & unused.
• GOD HAS NOT GIVEN US A SPIRIT OF FEAR…
• But of POWER and of LOVE and of a SOUND MIND.
I. (1.8-12) A GOSPEL CONFIDENCE
1. (8) Do not be ashamed.
a. In all that’s surrounding you right now, don’t let my situation be a shame to you Timothy.
b. Don’t be afraid to share the testimony of our Lord.
Paul SAYS… I KNOW I’m a prisoner and it looks bad right now.
• They might be taunting me. Ridiculing my position.
• But don’t be ashamed. Don’t be afraid to share the truth.
APP: I OFTEN Pray for boldness in my life. That I would share His testimony with boldness.
• It’s amazing how easy it is to talk about other things.
• The Broncos. The Nuggets. Our Hobbies. And on the list goes.
• AND STILL when Jesus comes up, our lips go silent.
• But He’s so worth talking about & sharing.
NOTE: Here we are in a powerful relationship with Jesus.
• And here’s the deal.
• We provide the sin & He provides the Savior.
• Yet we’re still ashamed!
• May the Lord grant us the boldness & strength to share.
But it’s not just us… Timothy wrestled with it as well.
• So Paul reminds Him… don’t be ashamed.
2. (9) The ONE who saved us.
a. Look what Jesus has done
b. He’s saved us. He’s called us.
c. Not according to our works. Isn’t that great!?!
NOTE: What a blessing to know that God doesn’t deal with us according to what we’ve done.
• Some days we’d be so unbearable, puffed up with pride.
• Oh yes, had a great day today! I’m so close to perfect!
• But then the next day, you’re back down in the dumps because of our failures and weaknesses.
Psalm 130.3 If You, LORD, should mark iniquities, O Lord, who could stand?
• Aren’t you glad that it’s not because of our works?
• That’s He’s saved us and called us with a holy calling, according to His own purpose and grace!
YOU MEAN it’s all about faith in Him and His saving Grace? YES.
• That’s it. It’s by what He’s done and not our own works.