Summary: In Revelation Chapter 7-9, we see Jesus’ sealing His people with the Holy Spirit’s protection, and we are introduced to the seven trumpets of God’s Judgment
SESSION #7: REVELATION #7 – THE 144,000 AND THE GREAT MULTITUDE:
(Pastor Chris Jordan - 2011 - Beausejour Community Church)
“After these things I saw four angels standing at the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, on the sea, or on any tree. Then I saw another angel ascending from the east, having the seal of the living God. And he cried with a loud voice to the four angels to whom it was granted to harm the earth and the sea, saying, "Do not harm the earth, the sea, or the trees till we have sealed the servants of our God on their foreheads.” (Rev. 7:1-3).
What are the four winds?
• evil forces of devastation, universal or divine judgement
• whatever it is, God is restraining it for the sake of His chosen people
What is the seal of God? It refers to God’s ownership and protection of His people
• “Now He who establishes us with you in Christ and has anointed us is God, who also has sealed us and given us the Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee.” (2 Cor. 1:21-22).
• “in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise, who is the guarantee of our inheritance.” (Eph. 1:13b-14a).
“And I heard the number of those who were sealed. One hundred and forty-four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel were sealed:” (v.4).
• Of the tribe of Judah 12,000 Of the tribe of Simeon 12,000
• Of the tribe of Reuben 12,000 Of the tribe of Levi 12,000
• Of the tribe of Gad 12,000 Of the tribe of Issachar 12,000
• Of the tribe of Asher 12,000 Of the tribe of Zebulun 12,000
• Of the tribe of Naphtali 12,000 Of the tribe of Joseph 12,000
• Of the tribe of Manasseh 12,000 Of the tribe of Benjamin 12,000
Who are the 144,000?
• a description of the entire Christian church (we are spiritual Israel)
• 144,000 = 12 x 12 = 144 (x 10 x 10 x 10 = a perfect cube)
• “A great wall with twelve gates…and names written on them, which are the names of the twelve tribes of the children of Israel…the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and on them the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.” (Rev. 21:12-14).
Why is this likely not referring to literal Israel?
• “There is neither Jew nor Greek…for you are all one in Christ Jesus. And if you are Christ’s, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.” (Galatians 3:28-29).
• “Therefore remember that you, once Gentiles in the flesh… that at that time you were without Christ… But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ. For He Himself is our peace, who has made both one, and has broken down the middle wall of separation.” (Ephesians 2:11-14).
• The PDF interpretation sees this 144,000 as being literal, physical Jews who will preach the Gospel during the ‘seven year tribulation’ before Christ’s return.
• The Jehovah’s Witnesses say that there will only be 144,000 in Heaven! (false teaching)
“After these things I looked, and behold, a great multitude which no one could number, of all nations, tribes, peoples, and tongues, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, with palm branches in their hands, and crying out with a loud voice, saying, "Salvation belongs to our God who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb!" All the angels stood around the throne and the elders and the four living creatures, and fell on their faces before the throne and worshiped God, saying: "Amen! Blessing and glory and wisdom, Thanksgiving and honor and power and might, Be to our God forever and ever. Amen.” (Rev. 7:9-12).
What is the Great Multitude? - a picture of the Christian church
• Note – John HEARD (144,000) and SAW (Great Multitude)
• Just like in Revelation 5 where John HEARD (Lion of Judah) and SAW (slain Lamb)
• white robes = clothed in His righteousness
• great multitude – tells us God has chosen to save many people!
“Then one of the elders answered, saying to me, "Who are these arrayed in white robes, and where did they come from?" And I said to him, "Sir, you know." So he said to me, "These are the ones who come out of the great tribulation, and washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb. Therefore they are before the throne of God, and serve Him day and night in His temple. And He who sits on the throne will dwell among them. They shall neither hunger anymore nor thirst anymore; the sun shall not strike them, nor any heat; for the Lamb who is in the midst of the throne will shepherd them and lead them to living fountains of waters. And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.” (Rev. 7:13-17).