Summary: The Church must be unified in it's Commitment to the Lord's work.
I. The Appraisal of Commitment - vs. 1-2
A. The Inspection of God - tempt - to test, to prover or put to the proof. Here we see a Pursuit of God by God’s invitation.
1. Our Commitment is the Proof of who we are - that simple.
2. Our Commitment is the Price we place upon our Love - it shows it.
How much is your love worth? Talk is cheap, it is revealed in your commitment.
B. The Intentions of Abraham - vs. 2 - Here I am! That is commitment.
Isaiah echoed the same words in Isa 6:8 "Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, Whom shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, Here am I; send me".
II. The Action of Commitment - vs. 3-5
A. His Commitment was one of Preparation - he had the wood, the knife, and his son. Stewardship is a choice, you will not do it by accident.
B. His Commitment was one of Pursuit- vs. 3 He merely went toward God’s plan
C. His Commitment was one of Persistence - vs. 4 saw the place afar off. He kept pursuing! It was not a one step journey!
D. His Commitment was very Personal - vs. 5a
1. It was a Personal Deed - “clave” the wood - he did not have the servants do it, he did not expect someone else to do it- He split the wood to sacrifice his only son!
2. It was a Personal Decision - “I and the lad will go” Obedience is not partial, but is always personal.
III. The Assurance of Commitment - vs. 5-10
A. The Expectation of His Faith - vs. 5 Not saving faith, he had already trusted God- Gen 15:6 "And he believed in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness."
1. He acted on the Promises of God - Vs. 5b ..and come again to you.
2. He Depended on God’s Promises - Vs. 8 God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering.
B. The Effort of His Faith - vs. 6
1. The Burden placed on the Son (what a picture of our sin!)
2. The Burning held in his hand (picture of God’s judgment)
3. The Blade ready to be used - Total commitment
C. The Evidence of His Faith - vs. 9-10 An act of total commitment.
1. He Built an Altar - Surrender
2. He Placed the Wood in its Place.
3. He Bound His Son and place Him on the Altar.
4. He Raised the Knife - He obeyed and ENTRUSTED the outcome to God!
That is Commitment! Not saving faith, but works that accompany faith -
James 2:21 "Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar? 22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect? 23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God. 24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only."
D. The Assurance of Abraham - vs. 14 - God Provides
Until we commit all to Him, we will not truly know His provision.
Concl. We must be unified in our commitment, but realize this - Our stewardship, our commitment starts with us being unified with God. That is the test!