Summary: Today I want to talk to you about “United We Stand”; we are living in a time of great compromise from the secular world to the Church.
Intro: Today I want to talk to you about “United We Stand”; we are living in a time of great compromise from the secular world to the Church. We are at a time when there are no standards, the world stands upon the philosophy that in order to reach the top, they must step on as many as they can to reach their goals, this same thinking has bled into the church resulting in no unity which has cost us the power of the Holy Spirit and the lack of Revival. We can learn something from these three Hebrew boys that took a Stand. Psalms 133:1 Behold, how good and how pleasant [it is] for brethren to dwell together in unity!
I. The World is changing.
A. We as the church are standing in the same shoes as Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego. We are in the midst of strange times, everything around us is changing.
1. For these three Hebrew Boys the change started when the Jewess Nation was invaded by the Babylonians in what is called the Babylonian Exile which took place in 605 B.C.
2. In three phases the Jews were deported to Babylon, the last phase in 588 to 586 B.C. where Jerusalem was overthrown and the Temple destroyed.
3. Daniel and the three Hebrew boys were the first to go.
B. All this took place under the leadership of the Babylonian king Nebuchadnezzar, who dominated and ruled as if he were the King of kings. He like many other dictators is like a type of Satan, who is a mere prince of this world but no King.
1. This King would set up a Golden Image that all were to worship. From the highest authorities to the lowest peasant including the Jews.
2. All were to bow down and worship this image when the music played, and if no one obeyed this decree they were to be thrown in the fiery furnace for there rebellion.
3. At the appointed time the music played and all bowed down except the Jews.
4. But there were three Jews that they were concerned more about because these three had favor and were given a High position. The Bible says in Daniel 2:49 Then Daniel requested of the king, and he set Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, over the affairs of the province of Babylon: but Daniel [sat] in the gate of the king.
5. It was these three who earlier in the beginning of the book of Daniel had there names changed. They changed there names but couldn’t change who they were.
C. We too are facing changing times. Paul would speak of these times in 2 Timothy 3:1 ¶ This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. (2) For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, (3) Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, (4) Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; (5) Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
1. Many have compromised and are bowing down to the idols of this world. 2 Timothy 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; (4) And they shall turn away [their] ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.
2. They expect the Church to do the same. In many respects we have, doctrines of devils are being taught in the churches.
3. Many are bringing strange Fire before the Altar of our Lord as Nadab and Abihu did in Leviticus 10.
4. The World may change our name or call us names, but they can’t change who we are.
5. We are a people of favor and are in need of it. Proverbs 16:15 In the light of the king’s countenance [is] life; and his favour [is] as a cloud of the latter rain.
6. 1 Peter 2:9 But ye [are] a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:
II. Three Stood Strong.
A. Theses Hebrew boys joined themselves together and stood for God.
1. They held to his word. They knew the first commandment was to have no other gods before the Lord they knew Isaiah 45:6 That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that [there is] none beside me. I [am] the LORD, and [there is] none else.
2. The world may want us to indulge ourselves in the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eye, and the pride of life. But we must resist the temptations of the World and not bow our knees to compromise. We are to James 4:7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.