Summary: Christians Are United With Christ As The Household Of God!
“United We Stand!”
United With Christ As The Household Of God!
1. Exploring The Doctrine Of A Christian’s Union With Christ!
- It Is A Great Blessing For Christians! (1 Corinthians 1:30 - “But of him are ye in Christ Jesus!”)
- It Is A Great Mystery For Christians! (Ephesians 5:31-32 - “For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh. This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.”)
- IE: “Clue” - Searching Through The Mansion Of The Entire New Testament, Gathering From Room To Room Clues About The Mystery Of Our Union With Christ!
2. We Have Looked At:
- “What Does It Mean To Be United With Christ?” - It Covers Many Facets Of Your Christian Life!
- “Union With Christ Is An Inclusive Term For The Whole Of Salvation!” (Millard Erickson)
- “What Does It Take To Be United With Christ?” (Ephesians 2:12-14 - “That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world: But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ. For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;”) - You Must Understand What It Is Like Without The Union; You Must Believe What It Is That Creates The Union; And You Must Experience What It Is Like With The Union!
3. We Will Look At:
- “What Is It Like To Be United With Christ?” - Going Through The Mansion, We Come To A Room That Gives Several Key Figures / Illustrations That Reveal Certain Aspects Of Our Union!
- Key Figures: According To The NT, Your Union With Christ Is Like: A Building; A Vine; A Body; A Marriage; Others!
- We Will Look At These Key Figures, To Further Understand Our Union With Christ! Remember, They Are Figures Only! They Cannot & Do Not Reveal To Us Everything That Our Union Consists Of – It Is Still A Mystery! “There Is Similarity But Not Identity” / “When We Make A Comparison We Do Not Make An Equation” (John Murray - “Redemption – Accomplished And Applied”)
4. According To Ephesians 2:19-22: Your Union With Christ Is Like A Building! (Read Passage)
5. Remember Who Book Of Ephesians Was Written To:
- The Church Located In The Roman City Of Ephesus, In Modern Day Western Turkey - The “Crossroads” Of The Roman Empire (IE: Indiana) - Many Land & Sea Routes Crossed Here! It Became Very Important Politically, Commercially & Religiously! (Mixed Together) - Its Religious Importance Is Seen In The Temple Of Diana (Roman Goddess), Which Was 1 Of The 7 Wonders Of The Ancient World; Ranks With Pyramids / Hanging Gardens - Babylon; Foundation - 10 Steps High; 425 Feet Long / 220 Feet Wide (2 Football Fields); 60 Feet High - 2 Rows Of 127 Pillars - These Ephesian Christians Knew What A Large & Great Building Was Like! And Paul Explains To Them That “In Christ” They Are Part Of A Much Greater Building Than The One Their City Was Known For!
6. What Is It Like To Be United With Christ?
* This Means:
I. You Are Built ON Jesus Christ! (v. 20)
- “And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone!”
- Because Jesus Christ Is Your “Cornerstone!”
- Represents The Primary Stone In A Building! (In Ancient Architecture - Temple Of Diana); Primary In Time! (First Construction Material To Be Laid - The Rest Of The Building Could Not Begin Until This Cornerstone Was Placed!); Primary In Strength! (The Cornerstone Had To Be Made Out Of The Best Quality & Strongest Material - It Would Be The Stone Upon Which Everything Else Would Rest!); Primary In Significance! (Even Today Cornerstones Are Laid Today - Used For Dates - Often Laid During Special Ceremonies!)
A. Jesus Christ Is Your ONLY Cornerstone!
- “Jesus Christ Himself!”
- 1 Corinthians 3:11 - “For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.”
- There Can Be Only One True Foundation! The Support Upon Which Everything Else Rests!
- IE: House - Footers Laid First & Foremost!
B. Jesus Christ Is Your PERMANENT Cornerstone!
- Present Tense Verb - Currently He Is Your Cornerstone, And He Will Continue To Be Your Cornerstone!