Summary: PAUL HAS SHOWN THE RELIGIOUS AND THE HEATHEN ARE ALL BOUND BY SIN IN ROMANS 1 & 2. IN ROMANS 3, HE GOES ON TO SHOW HOW ALL OF HUMANITY SHARES A COMMON PROBLEM OF OUR SINFUL NATURE & STATE
Romans 3: Universal Sinfulness of Mankind
1. What advantage then hath the Jew? or what profit is there of circumcision?
a. Paul is going to address the benefit of the law and truth in our sinful lives.
2. Much every way: chiefly, because that unto them were committed the oracles of God.
a. Psalms 19 (The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul. The statutes of the Lord are trustworthy, making wise the simple. The precepts of the Lord are right, giving joy to the heart. The commands of the Lord are radiant, giving light to the eyes. The fear of the Lord is pure, enduring forever. The ordinances of the Lord are sure and altogether righteous. They are more precious than gold, than much pure gold; they are sweeter than honey, than honey from the comb. By them is your servant warned; in keeping them there is great reward.)
3. For what if some did not believe? shall their unbelief make the faith of God without effect?
a. Isaiah 55:11 (“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord. “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.....so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.)
4. God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged.
a. Matthew 5:18 (“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord. “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.....so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.)
5. But if our unrighteousness commend the righteousness of God, what shall we say? Is God unrighteous who taketh vengeance? (I speak as a man)
a. The law shows the contrast of how HOLY God is and how SINFUL we are
6. God forbid: for then how shall God judge the world?
7. For if the truth of God hath more abounded through my lie unto his glory; why yet am I also judged as a sinner?
8. And not rather, (as we be slanderously reported, and as some affirm that we say,) Let us do evil, that good may come? whose damnation is just.
a. Grace does not become a license to sin
b. This is critical to grasp so that the TRUTH of Christ does not become twisted by our sinful minds to justify ungodly behavior
c. Three dimensions of SIN –
i. Sinful Acts – breaking God’s law through commission and omission
1. James 4:17 Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins.
ii. Sinful Estate – born into state of rebellion
1. Psalms 51:5 Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me.
iii. Sinful Nature – we are broken with a proclivity toward sin
1. Galatians 5:17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.