Summary: You can have an unshakable future despite what may be going on if your future rests in Jesus Christ
Intro: We face some uncertain days earthly speaking. But there is no reason to panic for the child of God. Earthquakes give little or no warning. In 1972, December 23rd, an earthquake hit Managua, Nicaragua and thousands died. A city was completely changed, as well as a culture. Bro. Dayton tells of how buildings were moved, destroyed, etc.
But many other things, other than the earth, are being shaken during our days.
The Economy - you would not know it by the traffic on the roads, or the restaurants, but we are told that the economy is struggling. God is in control.
Peace - wars and rumors of wars. Nuclear threats, Iran, N. Korea, Venezuela
Our Country - Election, Morality and Freedom are at stake
Our Churches - Standing for little, meeting places with no solid teaching
The Bible is reduced to a mere book that is subjective in meaning.
Our Neighborhoods - crime, immorality, we need to pray for our city
Our Families - How can we even question the definition of marriage? Immorality, Integrity, Sometimes sicknesses or finances.
In Reality, there is nothing of this world that is unshakable.
And today, GOD CAN SHAKE YOUR FOUNDATIONS. If you have any foundation other than Christ, you have no foundation! But God is really in control. (Text)
I. The Shaking of the Earth - vs. 26 (this verse refers to vs. 18-25)
A. The Demand of the Law - Mt. Sinai (Ex. 19)
Here we see the very Pulpit of God as he declares to mankind His Law!!
1. It was a Frightening Place - vs. 18 Smoke & Fire
2. There was a Dreadful Voice - vs. 19
3. An Unapproachable Presence - vs. 20-21
Ex 19:12-13 "And thou shalt set bounds unto the people round about, saying, Take heed to yourselves, that ye go not up into the mount, or touch the border of it: whosoever toucheth the mount shall be surely put to death: 13 There shall not an hand touch it, but he shall surely be stoned, or shot through; whether it be beast or man, it shall not live: when the trumpet soundeth long, they shall come up to the mount." It was a mountain that could be touched! The Law is unapproachable without the shedding of blood.
B. The Delight of Grace - Mt. Zion (Heavenly dwelling - vs. 22)
1. A Sacred Place - Mt. Zion - vs. 22 (references to Zion)
Joel 2:32 "And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the LORD shall be delivered: for in mount Zion and in Jerusalem shall be deliverance, as the LORD hath said, and in the remnant whom the LORD shall call."
2. Specific Residents
- The Living God, the Father, and Judge - vs. 22-23
- Countless Angels (Innumerable - same word as “ten thousand times ten thousand” in Revelation 5:11)
- The Church - General Assembly, Greek word that meant a celebrating crowd, (such as at the Olympics) WHY? - They have been redeemed
- O.T. Saints “spirits of just men made perfect” (Saints from chap 11)
- God the Son, Jesus LORD AND SAVIOR - vs. 24
C. The Determining Choice - vs. 25 Refuse not Him that spoke on the earth!
Verse 25 speaks of another Mountain between Sinai and Zion - It is Calvary! It is where on an old rugged cross, Jesus gave his life for you and me.
1. Redemption by Faith - You see, when we place our trust in the Christ of Calvary, we are no longer obligated to the Mountain of the Law, but can rest assured that the Mt. Of God will be our home. That is Grace!
2. Refusal means no Escape - If those in the wilderness that rebelled did not escape, how much more will those that reject Christ, the very Son of God, not escape.
II. The Security of Eternity - vs. 28 With our lives seemingly shaken at times, it is good to know that there are some things that are Unshakable.
A. An Unshakable Kingdom that is Never Ending - vs. 28 (3 things not shaken)
1. The Word of God - Mt 24:35 "Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away."
- Its Promises, never shaken - 1000’s - 2 Peter 1:3-4 "According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue: Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises:"
- Its Power can never be shaken -
* Power to Convict (Acts 2:37)
* Power to Convert (Psalm 19:7)
* Power to Cleanse (Psalm 119:9)
* Power to Comfort (Psalm 119:49-50)
* Power to Counsel (Psalm 73:24)