Summary: Mary's Secret found in her song of Praise
UK Daily Mail - Sat. 11/24/12
- Why is everybody so happy at Christmas?
- What is the essence of the Christmas spirit?
- A study has shown that feeling 'Christmassy' is all about the right combination of sights, sounds and smells
Research, conducted under strict scientific conditions, involved exposing a group of volunteers to a selection of seasonal sight, sound and smell sensations.
For each combination the 30 women participants were asked to give a score out of 10 for how Christmassy they felt.
Candles, carols and cinnamon came top with a rating of 7.3, followed by candles, carols and orange with a score of 6.2.
The least Christmassy combination was candles, classical music, and the smell of pine, which scored 2.95.
- You don’t felt much like singing? Everybody around you is smiling and laughing, but you feel like crying.
- They’re all so carefree while your mind is full of worry, stress and pain
- An estimated 10 million Americans suffer from Seasonal Affect Disorder (SAD) - “Holiday Blues.”
• Unrealistic expectations
• World Events
• Aging family members
• Magnification of existing problems
We need to unwrap the Christmas Secret
. The Secret Joy. (Lk 1:46-47)
- Verses here come almost entirely from OT
- Mary knew & used scripture
1. Mary knows God personally.
Lk 1:48 - Mary is chosen, but she is human
- Mary knows she is a sinner who needs a Savior just as anybody else does.
2. Mary has a Joyful Relationship with God?
- It’s an action word. - to jump up and down for joy.
- Think of a child, so happy they literally leap for joy.
- Who or what could make you that happy?
- Millions of people think they know the answer
- Fox Mews 11/25/12 “No Powerball winner; jackpot goes to record $425 million”
- Watch “Wheel of Fortune” or “The Price is Right”
- People jump for joy over a new car, or a new house or a vacation
- Mary found her joy in the Lord
John 15:11 (AV)
11 These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.
. The Secret Purpose (Lk 1:48-50)
- An amazing discovery
- God has a plan for this world & I am part of that plan
- Mary is glad to be chosen in God’s plan.
She sings for joy that a God notices a poor nobody like
- We need to have a sign on our mirror to remind us
- “What Have You Got Going Today, God? I’d Like To Be A Part Of It. Thanks For Loving Me.”
- This is the recipe for joy: find your part to play in God’s plan.
- Say “Yes” to God’s plan in your life.
. The Secret Is Change (v. 51-53)
- He turns the world upside-down
- Many misunderstand Christmas because they misunderstand why Jesus came
- God’s power to change lives
- Impossible Lk 1: 34, 37
- Only when you are starving for the Bread of Life and the Water of Life will your soul truly find satisfaction.
. The Secret Is Faith - (Lk 1:54-56)
- God always keeps his promises
It was the day after Christmas at a church when the pastor noticed that the baby Jesus was missing from the manger scene set up inside the church. He hurries outside and sees a little boy with a red wagon and in the wagon was the figure of the little infant Jesus. He walks up to the boy and says, "Where did you get your passenger?" The little boy replied, "I got him from the church." "And why did you take him out of the church?" The boy explains, "Well, a week before Christmas I prayed to the little Lord Jesus and I told him if he would bring me a red wagon for Christmas I would give him a ride around the block in it."Kids know the importance of keeping your promises, even if we adults sometimes forget.