Summary: - Christmas is more about communion - The “Christ mass” - Christ – “the anointed one”- Mass – Latin “Dismissal”
Luke 21:29–30 (AV)
29 And he spake to them a parable; Behold the fig tree, and all the trees;
30 When they now shoot forth, ye see and know of your own selves that summer is now nigh at hand.
- You know summer is coming when the fig tree sprouts.
- You know that Christmas is coming when you see poinsettias for sale in the grocery store.
- Poinsettia is a member of the plant called the crown of thorns
- Poinsettia flower resembles the Christmas Star of Bethlehem
- The red colored leaves symbolize the blood of Christ.
- White leaves represent his purity.
- Christmas demands more time, money and energy than any other day of the year
- When we use the term “Christmas Time” or the “Christmas Season” what we mean is the retail season
- The celebration of Christmas is not mentioned in Scripture.
- The early Christians did not celebrate birthdays
- It was death days remembering the death of martyrs
- So when was Christmas first celebrated?
- The Church took the celebration of the winter solstice dedicated to Saturn, and Christianized it.
- In an old list of Roman bishops, compiled in A. D. 354 these words appear for A.D. 336: "25 Dec.: natus Christus in Betleem Judeae." December 25th
- Christ born in Bethlehem, Judea. This day, December 25, 336
- Christmas is more about communion
- The “Christ mass”
- Christ – “the anointed one”
- Mass – Latin “Dismissal”
Christ – “The Anointed One”
Matthew 1:1 (AV)
1 The book of the generation of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham.
Matthew 1:18 (AV)
18 Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost.
Galatians 4:4 (AV)
But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son…..
Christ – The anointed one
- Gk translation of the Heb. Messiah
- The application of oil was associated with times of rejoicing and celebration -- Proverbs 27:9 (AV)
9 Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart,,,,
- Christmas is all about celebration
- Anointing - Singled out by God for special favour or responsibilities.
- To consecrate to a holy use
First time used in scripture
Exodus 28:41 (AV)
41 And thou shalt put them (garments) upon Aaron thy brother, and his sons with him; and shalt anoint them, and consecrate them, and sanctify them, that they may minister unto me in the priest’s office.
- In the OT anointing of Prophets, Priest, & Kings
- Priest - Aaron & his sons Ex 40:12-15
- King - 2 Samuel 2:4 (AV)
4 And the men of Judah came, and there they anointed DAVID king over the house of Judah……
Anointing done for burial - Mt. 26:6-12 (Mary- Jn 12:3)
We see it again for Jesus burial - Luke 23:56 (AV)
56 And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments;….
True meaning of Christmas is to consecrate, make holy
Mark Lowry - Mary Did You Know (last verse)
Mary did you know that your baby boy is Lord of all creation?
Mary did you know that your baby boy will one day rule the nations?
Did you know that your baby boy is heaven's perfect Lamb?
This sleeping child you're holding is the great I am.
Mass – Latin “Dismissal”
Mark 10:45 (AV)
45 For even the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.
- It was for sin that Jesus came to die for
Luke 23:46 (AV)
46 And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.
Dismissal of Sin
Acts 3:19 (AV)
19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;
For us to never be dismissed
Revelation 3:5 (AV)
5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.