Summary: The very best gift has indescribable value
- McDonalds’ Espresso cup “Unwrap a Little JoY’
- At what moment does Christmas comes into focus?
- The pinnacle point of your Christmas?
• Is it shopping?
• Is it the lights?
• Is it the music?
• Is it seeing children in the Christmas program?
• Is it trimming the tree?
• Is it the Christmas dinner?
- The first reaction to Christmas -- FEAR
Top Five Fears Today
2. Public Speaking
4. Intimacy (Commitment, Failure)
Fear Today Reported by CNN health
Teenagers Ages 15-18
2. Being raped
3. Not being able to breathe
4. Being threatened with a gun
5. Fear of dying
1. The "Fear Not" Of Salvation
Luke 2:10–11 (AV)
10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.
11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.
2. The "Fear Not" Of The Impossibilities
Luke 1:30 (AV)
30 And the angel said unto her, Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favour with God.
Luke 1:35 (AV)
35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.
Luke 1:37 (AV)
37 For with God nothing shall be impossible.
3. The "Fear Not" Of Unanswered Prayer:
Luke 1:13 (AV)
13 But the angel said unto him, Fear not, Zacharias: for thy prayer is heard; and thy wife Elisabeth shall bear thee a son, and thou shalt call his name John.
4. The "Fear Not" Of Immediate Obedience
Matthew 1:20 (AV)
20 But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost.
Matthew 1:24 (AV)
24 Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife:
Unwrapping the Very Best Gift
It was the coming of Jesus that brought the best gift of all
2 Corinthians 9:15 (AV)
15 Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.
NIV, NKJV, ESV, NET – indescribable
Let us thank God for his priceless gift!
Thank God for this gift, his gift. No language can praise it enough!
It’s Indescribable Value
Romans 8:32 (AV)
32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?
… the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord
1 John 5:11–12 (AV)
11 And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.
12 He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.
- Paul had an overwhelming desire to know Christ
Philippians 3:10 (AV)
10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection….
- Elmer Towns says that the bible has over 700 names of Jesus
OT gives help to what this gift would be like
• Immanuel— Isaiah 7:14, Mt 1:23
• Counselor— Isaiah 9:6, 1 Cor 1:30
• Saviour – Isaiah 60:16, Mt 1:21
• Helper— Psalm 115:9-11, Jn 16:33
• Messiah— Daniel 9:25, Mt 1:1
• Shepherd – Ps 23, Jn 10:11
• Fountain – Zech 13:1, Jn 4. Jn 7:38
- At Israel’s lowest point being dragged into captivity
- Jeremiah gives these encouraging words
- Jer. 33:3 - Call upon me & I will answer thee …
- Jesus born in darkness to give us light