Summary: "The mind set on the flesh is death but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace." Without the leading, help and encouragement from the Holy Spirit no one can overcome their hidden faults.
Utilize the Spirit’s Power to Overcome Hidden Faults
"The mind set on the flesh is death but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace."
1. Without the leading, help and encouragement from the Holy Spirit no one can overcome their hidden faults. David prayed, " Who can discern his errors? Forgive my hidden faults. Keep your servant also from willful sins; may they not rule over me." (Psalm 19:12,13)
Every believer needs the Holy Spirit’s assistance in exposing our sins of omission, wrong dispositions, and faulty presuppositions (assumptions). Ask the Lord to gradually point out areas of your life where you are not completely conforming to Christlikeness. David wrote, "Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is ANY offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." (Psalm 139:23,24) Pray that the Lord would reveal any deficiencies, shortcomings or blind spots that are hindering you from becoming all that the Lord wants you to be!
2. Without the support of the Holy Spirit no one can enjoy victory over their carnal desires. Paul writes, "Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires... The sinful mind is hostile to God. It does not submit to God’s law, nor can it do so." (Romans 8:5-7) Ask the Lord for the continual support of the Spirit to help you set more of your heart, soul, mind, emotions, energies, talents, and strength on what the Spirit desires. It is not enough to just avoid evil, we need help to involve ourselves completely in thinking, being and doing His perfect will.
3. Without the support of the Holy Spirit no one is able to please the Lord in all respects and bear fruit in every good work. Many people have tried to discipline themselves in ascetic lifestyles of phony godliness, but they end up being frustrated and disillusioned. Jesus told the disciples, "Watch and pray that you do not enter into temptations. The spirit is willing but the body is weak." (Matt. 26:41)
4. The Holy Spirit actively works to restrain all types of evil. Then the Lord said, "My Spirit will not contend with man forever, for he is mortal; his days will be a hundred and twenty years. The Lord saw how great man’s wickedness on the earth had become and that every inclination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil all the time." (Genesis 6:3,5) Ask the Lord to work against all types of evil in your personal, family and community environments.
5. The Holy Spirit convicts people with guilt and shame until they are willing to confess and forsake their secret sins. Jesus said, "When he comes, he will convict the world of guilt in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment." (John 16:8) The Spirit powerfully acts in peoples’ hearts and minds until they are willing to do something about sins. Ask the Lord to help you become more sensitive and responsive to the Spirit’s convictions in all areas of your life and ministry.