Summary: We should remember that God expects us to win and be victorious.
Victory or Defeat
Imagine for a moment that you are invited to a royal banquet by a king named Adonibezek.
1) Almost any food you could hope for on the table.
2) Over to one side you notice a strange sight.
a. A group of men chained to a table begging for food.
b. You see the king throw a piece of meat to the group of men and watch as they scramble and fight for the food to the delight of the king.
3) You notice something particularly strange about each
of these men as they try to pick up the food.
a. They are missing their thumbs.
b. They are missing their big toes.
Who are these men? They are 70 kings who king Adonibezek has conquered in battle.
The reason for this is found in the meaning of his name.
Adonibezek--"My Lord Lightning"
With great speed he would conquer his enemies.
I. THE SAD STATE OF THESE SEVENTY SOVEREIGNS.
A. They Were Defeated.
We are not told how they were defeated, but it could
have come from any number of reasons.
1. They Could Have Been Ambushed.
2. They Could Have Been Out Manned.
3. They Could Have Been Outsmarted.
4. They Could Have Been Under Armed.
Whatever the reason, when the battle was over they were defeated.
B. They Were Dethroned.
These men were meant to rule. They were of royal blood and had been given the throne.
C. They Were Disabled.
1. No Thumbs--They could not hold a sword in battle.
2. No Big Toes--They could not stand to fight or run.
D. They Were Disgraced.
1. Once a king with royal treatment.
2. Now a beggar with humiliation.
Defeated, Dethroned, Disabled, Disgraced.
II. THE CORRESPONDING CONDITION OF CONTEMPORARY CHRISTIANS.
I don’t believe that it is by accident that this story
appears in scripture or that the king’s name means
Satan is called "Lord Lightning"
and priests unto God..."
Yet many Christians allow sin to rule them.
A. Many Christians Are Defeated.
1. Some Have Been Ambushed.
adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh
about seeking whom he man devour."
2. Some Have Been Out Manned.
We try to go the battle alone and we are no match for Satan.
3. Some Have Been Outsmarted.
4. Some Have Been Under Armed.
armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in
the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
B. Many Christians Have Been Dethroned.
We were meant to rule and reign in Christ but we have
allowed "Lord Lightning" to dethrone us.