Summary: No matter what the trend, God and truth prevail in the end!
Vindication of the Wise Believer
1. Back in 1889, Sid and Leah's bull took sick and died, so they needed to go to the auction to buy a new one. Sid couldn't leave the farm because he was busy starting a farming equipment business, so Leah took the train to the city to buy a bull. If she was successful, she would take the train back to the farm, then she and Sid would borrow their neighbor's wagon to go to town and pick up their newly purchased bull.
The bidding was furious at the livestock auction, and Leah found herself bidding on the last remaining bull. It took everything she had but ten cents; but she was finally the successful bidder. Unfortunately, the train home was fifty cents. "Please, Mr. Conductor, couldn't you make an exception just once?" pleaded Leah. "Sorry lady," he replied, "but you can send your husband a telegram to tell him your problem. The office is just down the street."
At the Telegraph office, Leah asked, "Mister, how many words can I send to my husband for a dime?"
"It's ten cents a word," the clerk answered. Leah pondered her dilemma, then finally said, "OK, here's mine message: COMFORTABLE." [http://www.haruth.com]
2. Wisdom and its cousin, shrewdness, is invaluable in the trenches of life.
3. We must remind ourselves that the “Fear of God is the beginning of wisdom.”
Main Idea: No matter what the trend, God and truth prevail in the end!
I. Vindication of the Wise: The TRUTH Comes Out In Time (28-29)
Jesus in Luke 7:35 (NASB), “Yet wisdom is vindicated by all her children.”
If we act wisely, then time will vindicate us. This can be a great comfort…
A. In a CONTROVERSY, honest ASSESSMENT leads to truth (28)
1. Derek Kidner comments, “The key phrase is a man who hears: his first aim is to know and understand, not to grind some axe.”
2. The idea of “hears” can imply “obeys,” takes truth seriously/carefully
3. We tend to answer questions easily, based upon our moods, rather than think
4. Example: German students 2 questions: (1) Are you happy? (2) How many dates did you have this last month?
B. BLUFFING is trumped by INTEGRITY in time
• This dishonest man is such a brazen liar that he doesn’t flinch, eyes look normal… practiced
1. Image vs. SUBSTANCE
• We are more prone to believe a man with a squared chin, for example/
• Some people are just persuasive; you want to believe them.
• If someone reminds us of someone we like, we want to believe them.
• Absalom was able to win the loyalty of the people by schmoozing them
2. HONESTY and FAIRNESS take the effort of contemplation
• Wise people look at the message, not just the messenger; the facts…
• Careful assessment after listening, not generalities and popular sayings
No matter what the trend, God and truth prevail in the end! But what about now?
II. Vindication of the LORD; He is Sovereign (30-31)
Another way to put his: Don’t fight against the Lord, and don’t fight without him!
A. He cannot be outfoxed or CONTROLLED (30)
“Men of Israel, hear these words: Jesus of Nazareth, a man attested to you by God with mighty works and wonders and signs that God did through him in your midst, as you yourselves know— this Jesus, delivered up according to the definite plan and foreknowledge of God, you crucified and killed by the hands of lawless men. God raised him up, loosing the pangs of death, because it was not possible for him to be held by it.” [ Acts 2:22-24].
1. No wisdom of the WORLD
2. No understanding of MEN
3. No attempts to THWART him
Queen Athaliah thought she could take down the line of David. Althaliah controlled her men, kings of the southern Kingdom of Judah (husband, son] just as her mother, Jezebel, controlled King Ahab in the northern Kingdom of Israel. Who was Athaliah and what did she do? Baal, took materials from temple, massacred grandchildren, attempted to destroy line of David, Satanic prevention of Messiah [Joash saved]
B. He is the BEING behind Providence (31)
1. Human effort is REAL
2. But God either blesses or THWARTS human effort
No matter what the trend, God and truth prevail in the end!
1. When they crucified Jesus, his enemies thought they had won.
2. But Jesus was vindicated by his resurrection, exalted by his ascension.
3. His death on the cross was the wisdom of God at work.
4. No one could stand in his way, though they did not know it.
5. So we can rely on God’s determined will to occur, no matter what. The end times, our destiny in heaven, the New Heaven and New Earth all will happen.