Summary: There is a connection between faith and vision and it is the foundation of all spiritual visionary leadership.
1. Quote: .Source: Joel Smith, SermonCentral.com
“A dream without a positive attitude produces a
daydreamer. A positive attitude without a dream produces a
pleasant person. A dream together with a positive attitude
produces a person with unlimited possibilities and potential.” by
John Maxwell, “The Success Journey”, p-49.
2. Webster’s dictionary defines vision as: “...something supposedly
seen by other than normal sight; something perceived in a dream,
trance, etc. or supernaturally revealed, as to a prophet. (b) the
experience of having such perception or revelation.
3. Another term I looked up was ‘visionary’. The writer of
Webster’s dictionary seems to come across with skepticism when
he defines ‘visionary as “existing only in the mind; not real;
imaginary; not capable of being put into effect; not realistic;
4. For us to have ‘faith’ in God requires vision. The ability to see
what is unseen to the physical eye.
5. Listen to the Bible’s definition of faith: (Heb. 11:1, NIV) “Now
faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do
6. In fact without vision the Bible says: Proverbs 29:18 Where
there is no revelation, the people cast off restraint; but
blessed is he who keeps the law.
7. If the vision is from God then it comes in response to our faith.
Our faith brings certainty and assurance to our vision.
8. There is no greater need today in the Church than that of
9. Illus. of a modern day prophet by the name of Judge Roy Moore
Trans...There is no greater example than that of our Lord
Jesus Christ as found in Matthew 9:35-38. Jesus was living out
His vision and in so doing was providing leadership to those
who would follow. (Read Matthew 9:35-38) Let’s look first at
I. Visionary Leadership
A. The Mission (Vs 35).
1. Jesus went to the cities and villages of Israel. He was no idle
dreamer but a visionary leader who lived out through action what
the Father had called Him to.
2. We can be even more specific about this plan of action because
it says that He would enter the synagogues and begin to teach ...
proclaim the gospel of the Kingdom.
3. Illus...Judge Roy Moore said: “Enough is enough...” Its time to
take a stand ... its time to get into action. Here is no idol dreamer
4. When, out of strong inner conviction, you know what ought to
be, then you have a vision. But it is only an idle dream until you
decide how to live it out. How do we bring to reality the vision of
what ought to be? This is what separates spiritual visionary
leadership from the worldly type. The Bible gives examples of
5. Someone wrote: “The journey of a thousand miles begins with
the first step”. Likewise your visionary journey begins with the first
step of obedient faith as you live out what God is working in!
6. Illus...The Life of Reta O’Neill is another example of Visionary
Leadership. In her autobiography she first mentions her parents
responding to an invitation when she was five years old. At 98
years of age she was still keeping a prayer journal of who to pray