Summary: Lets say you are playing for the NBA championship and in the fouth quater you are down 40 points. You have a guy on the bench that has not played a minute, as a matter of fact, he is still in his warm ups and not even sweating. The guys name is Michael
Wake up Jesus!
5 As evening came, Jesus said to his disciples, "Let’s cross to the other side of the lake." 36 He was already in the boat, so they started out, leaving the crowds behind (although other boats followed). 37 But soon a fierce storm arose. High waves began to break into the boat until it was nearly full of water. 38 Jesus was sleeping at the back of the boat with his head on a cushion. Frantically they woke him up, shouting, "Teacher, don’t you even care that we are going to drown?" 39 When he woke up, he rebuked the wind and said to the water, "Quiet down!" Suddenly the wind stopped, and there was a great calm. 40 And he asked them, "Why are you so afraid? Do you still not have faith in me?" 41 And they were filled with awe and said among themselves, "Who is this man, that even the wind and waves obey him?"
I. Jesus is a “troublemaker.”
DEF: Trouble: source of distress, difficulty, pain, disease, or malfunction Maker: One that makes or manufactures. So Jesus is the one who makes us aware of the source of our pains…
a. He knows exactly what you’re in.
1. Jesus is the one who “allows” things to happen to us.
2. He does not do all these things, he just allows it.
3. We see in this passage that Jesus said, “lets cross to the other side of the
4. It is not as if he didn’t know a storm was coming.
5. As a matter of fact he WAS IN THE BOAT WITH THEM!!!!!
6. He was asleep, but I am sure he was aware of the surroundings.
b. Your “trouble” is a process.
1. Egg: If you know of any way to make an omelet without cracking an egg please let me know.
2. How do I know the peril of not being a good steward unless I have some financial trouble?
3. The only way players can get ready for a game is if they practice. You can read the play book until the words begin to disappear, but it is only when you get into a serious practice, where you get sweaty, dirty, hurt, will you learn.
4. Then you can truly say: “coach put me in the game.”
c. Jesus knew all, before hand [Psalms 139:16].
1.Q Why should I get saved if I am going to have problems?
2.A Christianity is not a cakewalk. God does not put you through problems for no reason. He is trying to refine you.
3. What does pain and hurt indicate? That something is wrong. (We would not get rid of some stuff in our lives if we didn’t have some pain.)
4. When you feel the pain you need to address it, because it is when the pain subsides, and before you know it, its not there any more, THEN YOU HAVE TROUBLE!! (Example: PERFECT EXAMPLE: Pastor gave before. The Tooth)
5. This passage shows me this: Sometimes the worst storms happen when you are closest to Jesus.
II. You cannot do it alone. [John 15:5]
a. Christians were not created to be independent.
1. Independent: Free from the influence, guidance, or control of another: self-reliant. Interdependent: Mutually relying on or requiring the aid of another.
2. You need God, plain and simple. (Side note: We also need each other)
3. If you cannot do ANYTHING apart from God it is a safe bet to say that if you ARE part of God you CAN do anything. [John 15:7]
b. Don’t let pride fool you.
1. You can go to all the schools in the world, and get all the degrees, if you don’t have Christ in the mix it is not going to last or make sense.
2. You can have all the money in the US mint, and it won’t mean anything, sooner or later, its going to turn for the worse.
3. In the passage it stated that the [v.37].
4. These guys were fishermen. So they had to be used to storms. So used to it, that they waited until the boat was nearly full with water. Why??? ( possibly because they thought they had it under control!!)
5. Please don’t think that you are smart enough or you can outwit God; that you have found a fool proof way to get your paper and keep it.
6. God is smarter than you think. (You cannot outwit the very person who created you, and the very person who knows the plans that he has for you. Jeremiah 29:11)
7. Because when you think that, and think you are getting over, is when its all over.
8. There is NOTHING or NO ONE who can give you the help you need like Jesus