Summary: God created the law to expose sin, but it brought guilt and condemnation. When you were born again, you are to walk in the Spirit and not by the law. Jesus Christ set free from the law. Living a life according to the Word is walking in the Spirit. When y
· Last week we discussed that we must be filled to the brim with the Word and the Holy Spirit.
· This week I want to impart to you the Word as it relates to walking in the Spirit.
· God created the law to expose sin, but it brought guilt and condemnation.
· When you were born again, you are to walk in the Spirit and not by the law. Jesus Christ set free from the law.
· Living a life according to the Word is walking in the Spirit.
· When you walk in the Spirit, you will not fulfill the desires of your flesh. You will not follow after the things that are sinful.
· Let’s look at some scriptures this morning and learn to walk in the Spirit.
A. The Law of God –vs. - Our sinful nature.
(NKJV) Romans 7 5 For when we were in the flesh, the sinful passions which were aroused by the law were at work in our members to bear fruit to death. 6 But now we have been delivered from the law, having died to what we were held by, so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter. 7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, “You shall not covet.” 8 But sin, taking opportunity by the commandment, produced in me all manner of evil desire. For apart from the law sin was dead. 9 I was alive once without the law, but when the commandment came, sin revived and I died. 10 And the commandment, which was to bring life, I found to bring death. 11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it killed me. 12 Therefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy and just and good. 13 Has then what is good become death to me? Certainly not! But sin, that it might appear sin, was producing death in me through what is good, so that sin through the commandment might become exceedingly sinful. 14 For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin. 15 For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do. 16 If, then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good. 17 But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. 18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. 19 For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice. 20 Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. 21 I find then a law, that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good. 22 For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man. 23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. 24 O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? 25 I thank God—through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin.
1. The law was given by God to expose sin & show people of their wrong behavior.
2. The law is not the enemy; it just reveals the truth about sin.
a. Without the law, you would not know if a particular behavior was sinful.
3.The law was given to give life, but it brought guilt and condemnation. We are subject to the judgment of the law.
4. Adam & Eve were the 1st to sin and disobey God’s law.
5. The law does not release a man from their sinful nature.
B. Jesus Christ liberated us from the law so that we can walk in the Spirit.
1. Walking in the flesh (law) is walking and living opposed to the Word of God.
2. Walking in the Spirit is walking and living according to the Word of God.
3.The Word says that there is no condemnation to those who walk in the Spirit.