Summary: For a few moments I would like to talk to you about Enoch, and how he walked with God. This man of God is first mentioned briefly in Bible in the book of Genesis in chapter 5 verses 18-24. His first appearance is in verse 18 and in verse 24 then he’s quickly removed.
Genesis 5:21 ¶ And Enoch lived sixty and five years, and begat Methuselah: (22) And Enoch walked with God after he begat Methuselah three hundred years, and begat sons and daughters: (23) And all the days of Enoch were three hundred sixty and five years: (24) And Enoch walked with God: and he [was] not; for God took him.
Intro: For a few moments I would like to talk to you about Enoch, and how he walked with God. This man of God is first mentioned briefly in Bible in the book of Genesis in chapter 5 verses 18-24. His first appearance is in verse 18 and in verse 24 then he’s quickly removed. Never to be heard from again; his only other references in the Bible after his departure in Genesis is in the New Testament. In the Gospel of Luke 3:37 refer to his belonging to the genealogy of Jesus, in Hebrews 11:5-6 we hear of his faith, and in the book of Jude 14-16 we are given a prophecy concerning the second coming of Christ. Also he could be one of the two witnesses returning to the earth during the time of the tribulation spoken of in Revelation 11:1-12, but today we want to focus on his walk with God and what we can learn from this patriarch of the faith. That we to may walk with God, and have that testimony that we pleased God.
I. What’s in a name?
A. Names told you about that person it was a testimony for them, the Jews took name choosing very important. As seen in the case of John the Baptist.
1. Elijah “Yahweh is God”
2. Elisha “ God Saves”
3. Amos “ To Carry”
4. Hosea “ Salvation or Yahweh Saves”
5. Isaiah “ Jehovah is Helper or Salvation is of the Lord”
B. The name above all names.
1. Isaiah told King Ahaz in Isaiah 7:14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel. This means God with us.
2. Other names are giving Wonderful, Counselor, The Mighty God, The Everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace, The Alpha and Omega, The Beginning and End, and The Word of God.
3. We know Him as Jesus Christ Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
4. Philippians 2:9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: (10) That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of [things] in heaven, and [things] in earth, and [things] under the earth; (11) And [that] every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ [is] Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
A. Enoch whose name means “Dedication” was dedicated to walk with God.
1. The word “walk” in the Hebrew language is halak (haw-lak) which means to be conversant; which defined in the Webster’s Dictionary as having knowledge and experience. That means when Enoch walked with God he got something from his walk.
B. Enoch walked with the true God.
1. In Genesis 22&24 the word “God” in the Hebrew language is Elohim (el-lo-heem’) which means “Supreme God”. The use of this particular translation out of over 11 different translations of the word “God” in the Hebrew and Greek language was probably added to show that Enoch walked with the True and Supreme God of Heaven, and not an idol god of the times.
2. In a time of idol worship where other gods like Baal and Ashtorath were worshipped. Enoch held true and dedicated to the Supreme God of Heaven. While others may cling or walk with there idol god or gods for a season, and either stop walking and communing with there god or gods, or possibly drop the old one for a new god that better suits there desires. Not Enoch he held on and walked and communed with the true God.
3. In scriptures any time we see the word LORD in all caps it is a reference to Gods true name which is Jehovah as it was told to Moses in Exodus 6:3. That name was such a sacred name that the Jews would not say it or write it. If they were to write God they would only us the G and D out of reverence. They felt it a sacrilege to say his name because God is Holy and they were not. Sounds like we need to follow in that example; when tend to throw Gods name around as if it were any other word or name.
4. It says in Amos 3:3 Can two walk together, except they be agreed? So this means that when God walked with Enoch he agreed with Enoch and Enoch agreed with God. There was no separation or strife there to keep them apart.