Summary: To walk with the Lord means we have to walk where HE IS.
“Walking In the Clouds”
1 Cor. 10:1-13
* Can you name with me our 5 core beliefs? 1) The Bible is our Guide Book, 2) God loves us & has a plan for us, 3) All people matter to God, 4) We seek to honor God in all we do, and 5) The local church is the hope of the world.
* Here’s the question, HOW can we accomplish this daunting task? My answer is one that I heard my mammaw use; “With God’s help.” Interestingly, she wasn’t the only one that I heard use this phrase, many people used to express it.
* To read the letter we call 1 Corinthians is to read Paul addressing a myriad of subjects. As we get to Chapter 10, we sense this is kind of an exclamation point on what it really means to follow Christ as well as a warning to those choosing NOT to follow Christ. Now if we are going to follow close to Christ, we must be where He is. Henry Blackaby tells us to find where God is working & go.(Read)
* If we are honest, to look at the title of this message brings about one of several natural, normal responses. For most, to be ‘in the clouds’ means ‘you’ve lost touch with reality.’ For others, it may conjure up the picture of living in the mountains ‘among the clouds.’ Still others see the clouds as a place of rain, storm, gray skies, darkness, & the like as well as a time of trouble. You understand, it is when you are so overwhelmed with grief, burden, heartache, and the like; that you feel alone, trapped, & like no relief is will come. It’s like you have a ‘blanket over your head & can’t get out.’
* However, let me give you another thought today, “God resides in the clouds.” If we desire to be close to our creator, go where He is.
* Exodus 13:21 By day the LORD went ahead of them in a pillar of cloud to guide them on their way and by night in a pillar of fire to give them light, so that they could travel by day or night.
* Exodus 14:19 Then the angel of God, who had been traveling in front of Israel's army, withdrew and went behind them. The pillar of cloud also moved from in front and stood behind them,
* Exodus 16:10 While Aaron was speaking to the whole Israelite community, they looked toward the desert, and there was the glory of the LORD appearing in the cloud.
* Exodus – 19:9 / 24:16 / 34:5 / 40:34-38
* 1 Kings 8:10 When the priests withdrew from the Holy Place, the cloud filled the temple of the LORD.)
* 2 Chronicles 5:13-14 The trumpeters and singers joined in unison, as with one voice, to give praise and thanks to the LORD. Accompanied by trumpets, cymbals and other instruments, they raised their voices in praise to the LORD and sang; "He is good; his love endures forever." Then the temple of the LORD was filled with a cloud, 14 and the priests could not perform their service because of the cloud, for the glory of the LORD filled the temple of God.
* Matthew 17:5 While he was still speaking, a bright cloud enveloped them, and a voice from the cloud said, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased. Listen to him!"