Summary: John encourages Christians to walk in the light and he explains why we are called to do so.
• SLIDE #1
• How many of us were afraid of the dark when we were little? How many of you still are?
• In interview, Stephen King, horror author, was asked about daily writing routine. Said only wrote in morning. When asked if ever wrote at night, replied, "Are you kidding? Not with the stuff I write!" Apparently even he knows the power of darkness. (Lanny Carpenter Sermon on 1 John from sermoncentral.com)
• Have you ever watched a scary movie at night, and as you were watching the movie something happened to make you jump out of your skin!
• Have you ever walked through a dark room and tripped over something we did not see?
• I have done that before, it is both frustrating and painful.
• Could you have avoided the problem if you simply turned on the light?
• Think about your life for a moment. How many times have we tripped over something in our lives because we were walking alone in the dark?
• In our spiritual lives could we have avoided tripping over some obstacle that caused us to stumble simply by shining the light of Jesus upon it?
• During John’s time there was a wide range of belief’s concerning how one should life in Christ.
• One of the false views John deals with in this letter is that moral behavior has no impact on one’s relationship with God.
• Another false view is that immoral conduct is not sin for the one who knows God.
• The final one is that knowledge of God removes sin as even a possibility in the life of the Christian.
• It is interesting to me that we still have these same thoughts floating around us today. WE may say them a bit different, but the practice is the same.
• There people who when they give their lives to Jesus make no effort to grow because they feel the one-time act of submission covers them no matter what they do.
• Last week we looked at how John was a reliable witness to Jesus and therefore can be trusted.
• Today we are going to look at his message!
• We have a choice in life, do we walk in the light of Jesus, or do we allow ourselves to walk in darkness? Today we are going to see why we should make the conscious choice to walk in the light of Jesus.
• Let us begin with verse 5.
• SLIDE #2
• 1 John 1:5 (HCSB) Now this is the message we have heard from Him and declare to you: God is light, and there is absolutely no darkness in Him.
• SLIDE #3
Let us walk in the light because…
I. God is light.
• What is light?
• Light enables people to do their work. It produces growth in crops; it reveals beauty and provides safety. Light represents what is good, pure, true, holy, and reliable. Light reveals; light shines.
• Light also relates to truth because light exposes whatever exists, whether it is good or bad. In the dark, good and evil look alike; in the light, they can be clearly distinguished.
• If you want to see where you are going, we will walk in the light.