Summary: Love defined further
II. Love is not envious or proud
a. 1 cor 13: 4b love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up;
b. 1 cor 13:4b (amplified) love never is envious nor boils over with jealousy, is not boastful or vainglorious, does not display itself haughtily.
c. There are 2 sides of the same coin here
i. Envy - a feeling of discontented or resentful longing aroused by someone else's possessions, qualities, or luck
1. If you’re constantly looking at what someone else has, been blessed with, or is enjoying…that’s envy
a. ENVY will surface is one of 2 ways
i. Offended by it – jealous
1. How come they got it? I’ve worked harder for it. I’ve been here longer. They’re not even saved. They are real sneaky and deceitful. Why did they get blessed
a. I told Dave Martin the first time I went to his house…we can’t be friends anymore. (JOKING)
b. If someone else’s blessings offend you, you aren’t walking in LOVE
ii. Looking at them to give some to you BOTH WAYS ARE WRONG.
1. We believe THEY are the answer to our prayer
a. We saw this all the time…God is going to supply my need and YOU are it because you just got that big blessing.
b. NO MONEY FOR CAMP-Showed up with new air-Jordan’s on…NO MONEY FOR THIS.
b. PRIDE AND ARROGANCE- There is nothing wrong with celebrating when blessing DOES come but when you make it a point to shove it in someone’s face is NOT walking in love
i. Squidward tenticles – Squilliam calls him to show off his house on tv.
ii. Someone tells you how nice something is…yeah you should’ve seen the price tag.
iii. Believing for a second you deserve or got a blessing because you are good enough.
iv. ARROGANCE IS BELIEVING A LIE ABOUT YOURSELF
v. The only reason blessings can come into our lives is because of what Jesus did. If God didn’t have a plan, based squarely in LOVE, there could never have been a blessing, even human blessing.
1. All things good come from God, even our type and shadow of it. If God didn’t have a plan to get us back and promise that humans would never have had a model to pattern blessing after.
vi. We are here enjoying good things because of the LOVE OF GOD. You didn’t earn it…you followed a model of blessing God built and sealed with the redemption of Mankind through Jesus.
2. If you are jealous of others blessings or are bragging about your own all the time, then you are not walking in love
3. We should celebrate with others who get blessed and praise God for our blessings. Not bragging
III. Is not rude and selfish
a. 1 cor 13:5 5 does not behave rudely, does not seek its own,
b. 1 cor 13:5 amp 5 It is not conceited (arrogant and inflated with pride); it is not rude (unmannerly) and does not act unbecomingly. Love (God’s love in us) does not insist on its own rights or its own way, for it is not self-seeking;
c. Love is not rude to other people in order to get what they want. Even though they may be rude to you!
i. Rude - is not un-courteous, or inattentive to civility and propriety. To behave unbecomingly
1. To be in an unfinished state or rough (like a house that isn’t finished yet)
2. Lacking refinement or delicacy
3. Offensive in manner (countenance or attitude) or actions
4. Marked by or suggestive of lack of training or skill
5. Ignorance of or indifference to good form; it may suggest intentional discourtesty
ii. Love doesn’t mean you have arrived at a state of perfection, a state of finished or a state refinement or being fully trained or having the skill….LOVE IS ACTING LIKE YOU ARE
iii. There is a time coming when we will be completed and we will be perfect and trained and taught and have good form…that’s what we are striving for but walking in LOVE covers all that up.
1. Eph 4:11-16 11 And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, 12 for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ, 13 till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ; 14 that we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting, 15 but, speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head—Christ—16 from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by what every joint supplies, according to the effective working by which every part does its share, causes growth of the body for the edifying of itself in love.