Summary: Three characteristics of David's men 1. Commitment 2. Competent 3. Courageous
• In what ways, if any, do you view yourself as being in a spiritual "battle"?
• Of all that you have done in your past Christian life, what things required the most courage from you?
David has been anointed king at Hebron!"
Three characteristics of his men
V. 38 KJV came with a perfect
v.38 NIV They came to Hebron fully determined
- Christ's desire of our heart
- We sing "King of Our Life I Crown Thee Now"
b. V. 38 KJV came with a perfect heart to Hebron, to make David king over all Israel:
- Committed to a purpose, a cause
- To have David to be King
- Jn 21:15-17
- Peter was asked 3 times "do you love me"
- Jesus purpose for Peter "feed my lambs"
We will be either committed to COMFORT or CAUSE
- CAUSE Presents another choice
Eternal or temporary values
2 Timothy 2:4 (AV)
4 No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.
v. 23-25 “ ready armed”
v. 31 “expressed by name”
v. 32 “had understanding of the times” “to know what Israel ought to do”
v.33, 38 “which could keep rand” – NIV “undivided loyalty”
v. 38 “were of one heart”
Which group stands out?
Note Zebulun – v.33
- They were expert – That takes practice & training
-- “Could keep rank” They were fully prepared & equipped
- They were totally loyal
- v. 25 mighty men of valor
- Overcoming fear
- Can’t do it on our own
Joshua 1:5–9 (AV)
5 There shall not any man be able to stand before thee all the days of thy life: as I was with Moses, so I will be with thee: I will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.
6 Be strong and of a good courage: for unto this people shalt thou divide for an inheritance the land, which I sware unto their fathers to give them.
7 Only be thou strong and very courageous, that thou mayest observe to do according to all the law, which Moses my servant commanded thee: turn not from it to the right hand or to the left, that thou mayest prosper whithersoever thou goest.
8 This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.
9 Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.
- We are not a prisoner of Circumstances