Summary: What kind of Church has Jesus established?
March 24, 2013
Text: Luke 9:1-6; 10:1,17-20
Subject: The Church
Title: What We Believe Part 5 – We Are The Church
This is our fifth week of studying about what we believe. I want to begin with Matthew chapter 16 and the words of Jesus. How many of you believe that if we read something in the Word that Jesus said we ought to pay close attention to it?
Matthew 16 and starting in verse 13, When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say the Son of Man is?”
14They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”
15“But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?”
16Simon Peter answered, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”
17Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven. 18And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. 19I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”
Who do you say Jesus is? The depth of your answer to that question will have a life long impact on your faith and it will also determine what you can expect to see happen in your church experience.
1. Do you believe that Jesus is the Son of God – the Messiah? And if so then…
2. Do you believe that He is building His church? Church = ekklesia – the called out ones… always refers to people and never to a building.
3. What kind of church do you see Jesus building?
4. Do you believe that Jesus has the authority to build His church? Matthew 28:18, Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.
5. Do you believe that He has the authority to pass authority to you?
That’s a good place to start. Today we are talking about the church. Last week we talked about the fall of man and the salvation of man. Everyone who is saved now has become a temple of the Holy Spirit – you are the church. God has established the Body of Christ as a corporate body of believers and has also given local assemblies through the work of the body can be carried out.
1. the local church provides an avenue for the evangelism to the world… this also includes compassion ministries to the needy and hurting…
2. the local church provides a place for corporate worship to take place…
3. the local church provides a place for believers to grow and fellowship under the five-fold ministry…apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors and teachers…
All of that to ask this question,
What kind of church do you want to be?
Turn to Luke 9 if you would and let’s read the first six verses. I believe that the Lord is building a greater church than we could ever imagine because the time is short for His return.
1When Jesus had called the Twelve together, he gave them power and authority to drive out all demons and to cure diseases, 2and he sent them out to preach the kingdom of God and to heal the sick. 3He told them: “Take nothing for the journey—no staff, no bag, no bread, no money, no extra tunic. 4Whatever house you enter, stay there until you leave that town. 5If people do not welcome you, shake the dust off your feet when you leave their town, as a testimony against them.” 6So they set out and went from village to village, preaching the gospel and healing people everywhere.
What did Jesus give to the disciples? Power and Authority! Are these the same things?
Power = dunamis – force; miraculous power; a miracle itself…
Authority = exousia – privilege, capacity, competency, freedom…
God has given you authority which means He has given you the legal right to carry out what He has called you to do.
If He has called you don’t you then think that also has given you the miraculous power – the spiritual muscle to back up the authority given you?
To do what?
…to drive out all demons and to cure diseases, 2and he sent them out to preach the kingdom of God and to heal the sick…
Do you think that the devil wants you to understand the power and authority that you have?
No! He’ll do everything he can to make you believe that you can’t do a thing about your situation – that it is God’s will that you be sick, poor, defeated, in bondage…