Summary: Believers courageously make a difference for Christ.
WE HAVE TO MAKE THIS BETTER
S: Courage – Ministry
Th: Walk in Spiritual Courage
Pr: BELIEVERS COURAGEOUSLY MAKE A DIFFERENCE FOR CHRIST.
?: Where? Where does it happen?
TS: We will find in our study of Acts 3:1-10 four places where we can make a difference for Christ.
The _____ place is…
I. WHERE GOD IS ABIDING
II. WHERE GOD IS ANTICIPATED
III. WHERE GOD IS IN AUTHORITY
IV. WHERE GOD IS ADORED
RMBC 07 Sep 03 AM
ILL Notebook: Courage (Letter to Editor)
This letter in poem form was sent to the editor of a newspaper…
I’m writing this letter,
Quite frankly to say
I abhorred the column
You wrote yesterday!
It was weak and insipid
And words synonymous--
In short, it lacked courage!
Yours truly, Anonymous.
Have you ever had trouble showing courage?
When it comes to being a Christian, there are times that we struggle in demonstrating courage.
We find it to be easier to be anonymous.
Well, this month, we are staying with our theme of the year, “Brave Hearts,” discussing the importance of courage as believers in the Lord Jesus.
It is discipleship month and…
1. The theme of Discipleship Month is “Walk in Spiritual Courage.”
You know, it is important that we understand our roles as disciples and as disciple makers.
And one of the great places in Scripture to discover how disciples should act is the book of Acts.
It is in the Acts of the Apostles that we see the disciples in action.
You may remember that we studied the first two chapters of Acts two years ago during discipleship month.
This month, we are going to study the next two chapters, chapters three and four.
Before we get to chapter 3, we see at the end of chapter 2 that the church is behaving distinctly different than the rest of society.
Here is how it is described…
And they devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers. And awe came upon every soul, and many wonders and signs were being done through the apostles. And all who believed were together and had all things in common. And they were selling their possessions and belongings and distributing the proceeds to all, as any had need. And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they received their food with glad and generous hearts, praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to their number day by day those who were being saved.
The Holy Spirit has come as Jesus had promised and the church is already experiencing phenomenal growth.
So now as we continue into chapter 3, we are going to see that…
2. BELIEVERS COURAGEOUSLY MAKE A DIFFERENCE FOR CHRIST.
The question we want to ask is where?
Where does this happen?
Where do believers make the difference?
3. We will find in our study of Acts 3:1-10 four places where we can make a difference for Christ.
Perhaps, we should be bolder and say where we will make a difference for Christ.
Here is how our text reads…
(1) Now Peter and John were going up to the temple at the hour of prayer, the ninth hour. (2) And a man lame from birth was being carried, whom they laid daily at the gate of the temple that is called the Beautiful Gate to ask alms of those entering the temple. (3) Seeing Peter and John about to go into the temple, he asked to receive alms. (4) And Peter directed his gaze at him, as did John, and said, “Look at us.” (5) And he fixed his attention on them, expecting to receive something from them. (6) But Peter said, “I have no silver and gold, but what I do have I give to you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, rise up and walk!” (7) And he took him by the right hand and raised him up, and immediately his feet and ankles were made strong. (8) And leaping up he stood and began to walk, and entered the temple with them, walking and leaping and praising God. (9) And all the people saw him walking and praising God, (10) and recognized him as the one who sat at the Beautiful Gate of the temple, asking for alms. And they were filled with wonder and amazement at what had happened to him.
I. The first place we can make a difference is WHERE GOD IS ABIDING.
As the scene opens up here, it has all the look of an ordinary day.
But what we find out quickly is that…
1. God makes ordinary days extraordinary.