Summary: John reminds us of the things we know.
• SLIDE #1
• I have enjoyed our journey through the book of John. I hope this book both challenged and encouraged you in your walk with Jesus.
• I believe there are times when we can get overwhelmed by all the things we should and need to know concerning our faith.
• We can get so overwhelmed that we sometimes do not know where to begin.
• Many people struggle in their walk with Jesus because they do think they know enough to get started.
• As we finish our series in 1 John I want to give you some encouragement.
• You do not have to be a biblical scholar to be able to live for Jesus. You need to start somewhere.
• As you start to develop a relationship with Jesus; you will want to get to know Him.
• This is similar to when you meet a person that you think you like. You want to get to know them on a deeper level than just thinking they are hot.
• Our message today is entitled “We Know.”
• As John concludes this letter, he wants to remind of the readers of the things they know concerning their faith and the basis of their faith.
• Remember the backdrop of John’s letter was the Gnostics who were distorting the Gospel, they were causing some to leave their faith. It is amazing how little things have changed.
• I want you to see that you know enough to begin your journey with Jesus.
• You know more than you think. You know enough to start to develop the relationship with Jesus that deep down you desire.
• WE need biblical knowledge, so I do not want to appear to minimize the need for extensive study of the Word.
• Biblical illiteracy is a BIG problem in the church today. People do not know why they believe what they believe, but that problem spills over into other areas of life also.
• If you want to really start to grow in your relationship with Jesus, getting to know Him is one of the keys to seeing that happen. Bible Fellowship (Our Sunday School Program), our newly forming Life Groups are great places to start!
• Knowledge is important because when you feel like you do not know much about a subject you can feel overwhelmed to the point of not even wanting to try.
• Today I want you to see that you know more than you think. If you know the three things John shares with us today, you will well on your way to developing a great rewarding relationship with Jesus!
• Let’s start with verse 18
• SLIDE #2
• 1 John 5:18 (HCSB) We know that everyone who has been born of God does not sin, but the One who is born of God keeps him, and the evil one does not touch him.
• SLIDE #3
I. Christians are called not to practice sin.
• John reminds us that we KNOW that the practice of sin is not what a Christian is called to.
• The phrase WE KNOW is used to begin verses 18,19, and 20. This phrase is the link that holds these verses together.
• The word KNOW in all three verses is the same and it denotes to gain understanding through reflection and thinking.