Summary: Week 26 in a Wednesday evening study through the book of Revelation
The Temple and Two Witnesses
Date: January 29, 2003
Place: Allendale Baptist
Text: Revelation 11: 1-14
Intro: God always has His witnesses! Even in this time of great wickedness and absolute rebellion against God, He has His witnesses in this sin cursed world. Ill. The goal of this chapter and the entire book of Revelation, is to give glory to and to exalt the blessed Name of the Lord Jesus Christ. This is possibly the most difficult chapter in this book. It is simply so deep that we could literally spend hours explaining all the twist and turns that are available here. However, we will try to get the gist of the passage and glean some truth from it. Please notice that the events described here take place within the first 3 1/2 years of the Tribulation.
Anti-Christ has established world-wide peace, a world religion, world economy and a seven year contract with the nation of Israel. Let’s notice the events of this awful period.
I. v.1-2 THE TEMPLE WORSHIP (Ill. The wonder! Men will build a temple to worship and sacrifice to a God who has already accomplished all things)
3 Temples in the Word of God –
1. Solomon’s Temple - Destroyed 583 BC by Nebuchadnezzar;
2. Zerubabbel’s Temple - Destroyed 168 BC by Antiochus Ephiphanes;
3. Herod’s Temple - Destroyed 70 Ad by Titus the Roman.)
Now, the Temple is the church of believers - 1 Cor. 6:19 tells us; “Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought with a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s.
There are two temples in the future - The Millennial Temple - Eze. 40-44; and the Tribulation Temple.
The Jews will rebuild their temple! They are already beginning the processes that will make this possible.
A. v.2b The City Mentioned - Holy City - Jerusalem, (Ill. Moslem, Christian, Jew) 1. The Jews Must Return To Their Homeland - (Ill. Ridiculed) Fulfilled in 1948! 2. The Temple Must Be Rebuilt - (Ill. Ridiculed) Ill. The difficulties involved.
B. v.2c The Chronology Mentioned - 3 1/2 years. v.2, 3, 12:6 ,12:14 (Ill. Daniels prophecy concerning Antichrist, Dan. 8:10. He will allow the temple to be rebuilt, but after 3 1/2 years, he will set himself up as God to be worshipped - 2 Thes. 2:4
C. v.1a-2a The Chastisement Mentioned - Ill. Rod is a type of judgment! This temple is under judgment from God! Why? It rejects the ultimate sacrifice of Jesus upon the cross and substitutes the sacrifices of men!
1. A part is given to the gentiles. They will be the instruments of judgment - Lk.21:24.
II. v 3-12THE TWO WITNESSES (Ill. The church is gone, but God still has His men!)
A. v.3-6 The Inauguration of Their Ministry –
1. v.3 They are real people
2. v.3 Sackcloth - Mourning - Preaching Misery - No message of hope and comfort!
3. v.3 Preach - Probably preach Jesus as the fulfilment of Holy Scripture.
4. v.4 Olive trees, Candlesticks - Spirit and Light. They will minister in the power of God’s Spirit preaching His Light. (Ill. Zech 4:3 ,14)
5. v.5 They are Unstoppable - Power to devour enemies with fire, stop the rain, and send plagues., turn the water to blood.
6. Who are they? Several guesses!
a. Elijah - Mal. 4:5, Ill. Elijah never died. Ill. Elijahs power. (Ill. A lone voice in his generation)
b. Moses - Moses mentioned in Mal. 4:5 with Elijah. Moses seen with Elijah in Matthew 17 on Mt of Transfiguration. The miracles and plagues were preformed by Moses. (A lone voice!)
c. Enoch - He too was alone voice for God. He never died, and all must die - Heb. 9:27 7. It doens’t really matter! What matters is that God has always got His man.
B. v.7-10 The Completion Of their Ministry
1. v.7 Killed by the beast - Rev. 13:1. If you are in God’s will, nothing can harm you.
2. v.8 Their bodies lie unburied in the street for 3 1/2 days in the city of Vice, Vanity and Violence. Jerusalem!
3. v.9 Ill. Ridiculed until the advent of TV. Ill. this will feed the drug induced, godless, wickedness of the day.
4. v.10 The earth Dwellers will throw a party. The Devils Christmas. Why? Their preaching troubled the sinners!
The preaching of the Word brings torment and conviction. It bugs people! People do not like to be faced with their sin! People hate it now, they will definitely hate it then!
C. v.11-12 The Vindication Of Their Ministry
1. They are raised from the dead.