Summary: Our God is unlike the imaginary gods of the nations; He is Almighty and Sovereign.
What A Mighty God We Serve!
1. Last week Sam brought me a package that had been mailed to my name at Ahavat Yeshua Messianic Congregation, where I sometimes speak.
2. It was a free book on an item from the high priest’s clothing. I gave it to Sam to read first, because that is his area of special interest.
3. With the book came a note, asking me to write a note to confirm that I had received it. I sent a thank you note.
4. As he read it, it was clear that the author was not of the evangelical persuasion. He brought in astrology and reincarnation and a bunch of stuff. He also told me about “endorsements.”
5. They were not endorsements, just letters thanking him for sending the book, something big ministries do typically as a courtesy. But he printed some of them in his book (from a previous edition), giving the idea that they endorsed the book. There was a letter from Joel Olsteen and even the Pope! [Sam & I attract the weird]
6. As an author myself, I know how much we want to get our books into the hands of others, but sometimes you have to be comfortable with a very limited amount of influence. God is God, and you are just you, an ordinary person.
8. This Psalm may have been written by a man named Asaph who was of the House of Asaph and a descendant of the earlier Asaph.
Isaiah 36:3, “ And there came out to him Eliakim the son of Hilkiah, who was over the household, and Shebna the secretary, and Joah the son of Asaph, the recorder.”
Main Idea: Our God is unlike the imaginary gods of the nations; He is Almighty and Sovereign.
I. We Serve a God of the Greater MOUNTAIN (1-4)
A. Mount ZION, on which the Temple was built (1-3)
1. Zooming in: Israel to Judah to SALEM (2a)
2. Mt. Zion: the one and only location for God’s TEMPLE (2b)
3. God delivered His people FROM Zion (3)
B. The mountain of PREY, Judah’s enemies (4)
1. The ASSYRIANS had laid siege to Jerusalem
2. They had captured, killed and deported about 200,000 Jews from JUDAH
Application: We can’t choose our own mountain! Must be Mt. Zion.
• God did not limit His presence to Mt. Zion, but dwelt there in a special way.
• The church — the assembly of God’s people — is a place where Jesus special dwells (wherever 2 or 3 gather). Whether the gathering, a loss of presence.
• Room for creativity when it comes to doing church, but not limitless room. The focus is to be God and His Word and His people, who make up His body.
• Like a child who only wans desserts, many Christians forsake a wholesome, balanced diet of the Word, prayer, praise, the ordinances, & fellowship.
II. We Serve A God Who Can INTERVENE (5-6)
A. Mystery and Unpredictability: God allowed much of Judah to be ATTACKED
1. God told Moses to take the people to Canaan; God told Abraham to leave his home town and the Lord would lead him when it was time; not the same.