Summary: What offering are you giving the Lord?
INTRO: A hen and a pig approached a church and read the advertised sermon topic: “What can we do to help the poor?” Immediately the hen suggested they feed them bacon and eggs. The pig thought for a moment and said, “There is only one thing wrong with feeding bacon and eggs to the poor. For you it requires only a contribution, but for me it requires everything.”
Today, look at two brothers and one who made pleasing offerings to the Lord while the other
TITLE: What Are Our Sacrifices to God
I. The Brothers (home and job) - Gen. 4:1-16 (READ)
A. First home - divinely appointed by God, increase of the human race.
1. Male and female - together to raise a family. Not female and female, or male and male, co-parenting, transsexual relationships.
a. Home brings happiness - a safe environment where children can play and feel safe.
- a place where mom and dad can teach the ways of God.
1. Greatest teachers - Mom and dad are the greatest teachers. Who are going to make the greatest impact (+ or - ) not pastors, teachers, counselors, it’s mom and dad!
b. Home brings discipline - mom and dad discipline your children! Don’t leave it to someone else. (Teachers, pastors, police officers).
ex Logan at camp, James Dobson “Strong Willed Child”.
B. First jobs - work by the sweat of our brow, work was going to be a drudgery (after sin).
1. Cain - farmer, worked the ground for a living.
2. Abel - rancher, took care of live stock.
3. Knew their calling - Cain and Abel knew what the Lord had for each of them. What he called them in advance to do.
Jer. 1:5 - “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you. Before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.”
a. God’s divine purpose - God has set in advance for us to do good works according to the book of Ephesians.
- Just as God had a specific purpose for Jeremiah, he has a specific purpose for our lives. If I ask you what it is, could you answer?
-A lot of frustration comes from not knowing what God wants us to do. Where do we fit in the church, workplace, God’s will.
1. Find out - don’t just exist. Seek Gods face - “What do you want me to do.” (Church - find a need and fill it).
4. First job didn’t interfere with worshipping God!
ex Mr. Egan - football story.
a. Don’t let things come before the Lord whether it’s activities, sports, work.
-Balance (quit work to worship God and forsake your family); and on the other hand, don’t give all the reasons in the world why things are getting piled in front of the Lord!
-Excuses are the nails that built the house of failure.
1. Law of diminish returns - get less and less
ex Boundaries for church set by parents, children will usually not exceed them).
-Generally children will not be holier than their parents. It can be different but generally not.
a. Parents that’s why we have a great responsibility to the spiritual walk of our family.
I Cor. 4:16 – “Therefore, I urge you to imitate me.” Paul is writing to the church at Corinth and saying copy me as I copy Jesus.