Summary: Sermon on why we come to church
WHY ARE WE HERE??
I. Introduction -
A. The Perfect Church
I think that I shall never see
a Church that’s all it ought to be
A Church whose members never stray
Beyond the Strait and Narrow Way:
A church that has no empty pews
Whose Pastor never has the blues
A church whose deacons always deak,
And none is proud and all are meek.
Where gossips never peddle lies,
Or make complaints or criticize;
Where all are always sweet and kind,
And all to other’s faults are blind.
Such perfect churches there may be,
But none of them are known to me.
But still we’ll work and pray and plan,
To make our own the best we can.
I think that poem makes a good point, while the perfect church is no where to be found on this earth. Let us continue to strive to make this church the perfect church.
B. I am going to do something which I have never done before. Preach on an issue which as come up. I was planning to preach on SOM until Wed. But I decided to preach on the issue at hand. I believe that God has laid this on my heart that I might share it with all of you.
II. “I am not getting anything out of church”. Do you have the feeling at times. “What can I get from going to church is the wrong questions!
A. Who said we are suppose to get “something” from church?
B. Where in Scripture does it say “go to church and get something.”
1. The Bible does tell us we must go to church.
2. Hebrew 10:24-25 “And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.”
3. But no where does it say that we are to go to get something!
C. If you believe you go to “get” something, ask the question, “who do you want that “something” from?”
1. Me? The pastor? I am sinful man just like the rest of you. I pray that God would use me through His Holy Spirit. But if you are looking for something from me you have the wrong place.
2. I echo the words of Paul in Romans 7:17-18 “For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find.” I am just a vessel. Striving to be used by God. Please do not come to church looking to get something from me.
3. We are all in the same boat. everybody here.
a. Seeking to be used for God, by God.
b. We have nothing in ourselves to offer.
c. Harley can show you how to clean a floor, I can give you golf tips (maybe), but spiritual things must come from God.
4. Maybe you want something from God.
a. Sure we need to pray, but let us approach God humbly
b. Let use realize that we should not EXPECT God to give us anymore then He already has.
c. God gave us His Son!!! (Who hear would give up there child for me?”) John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
d. What more could we ask for?
e. What more do we need?
f. In Him we have all things