Summary: Like Peter and John, we can stand up for what is right in the face of adversity.
What are we standing for?
Sunday September 14, 2008 Acts 4:1-22
Do you remember your honeymoon?
Finish this statement: You know the honeymoon is over when…
Explanation of Text:
• The “honeymoon” for the church is coming to an end...
• Everyone is not happy when God shows up.
• Peter and John are arrested (for healing a man!) and stand up boldly before the council.
Like Peter and John, we can stand up for what is right in the face of adversity the following ways:
I. Be Filled! …with the Holy Spirit Acts 4:8 Then Peter, filled with the Holy Ghost, said unto them...
1. They did not cave under the pressure
2. Because the Holy Spirit gives you power you don’t have yourself
3. When boldness becomes natural, not forced, not rude.
Does your life show the boldness of the Holy Spirit?
II. Be Clear! …about our faith.
“No other name under heaven.” 4:12
1. Because crisis brings clarity (this was a crisis!)
2. No other options (this is not faith in ourselves).
3. We are convinced of our convictions…
4. Even in difficult situations
Are you sure of your faith?
III. Be With…Jesus! They were amazed, and began to recognize them as having been with Jesus. Acts. 4:13
1. People who have been with Jesus are different.
2. Because we become like whomever we spend the most time with.
3. It’s Undeniable Proof! Jesus is our credential…4:14
4. We cannot keep from talking about what we experience. 4:20
Can people tell you have been with Jesus?
IV. Put Feet (or ft.) on our Faith "How lovely on the mountains..." Is 52:7 Rom 10:15 Ephesians 6:15
1. What price are we willing to pay for our faith to be known?
2. Are we willing to give something for our faith?
3. We need Feet that walk Faith, and feet (’) that give space to faith.
4. Prop. 8: Register, Vote, Spread the Word – it is spiritual battle.
Do we have "lovely" feet?
V. Be willing…to be uncomfortable.
1. Boy calls 9-1-1 on mom – it cost him is family.
2. Christianity is not about comfort but…
3. Can we be lulled to sleep by a comfortable Christianity?
4. What will it take for us to stand up?
What will we be remembered for?
Run to the Battle! Steve Camp
"Some want to live within the sound of church or chapel bell. I want to run a rescue shop within a yard of hell." C. T. Studd
Don’t be afraid! Greater is he that is in me…
1. We’ve got the power! No other name!
2. God is still working in difficult situations.
3. People are coming to Christ – that’s what matters.
1. Walk with Jesus.
2. Ask God to fill you with His Spirit.
3. Be sure of your faith in God
4. Make room for faith – literally make more space in your life for God miracles.
5. Be bold with the truth.
How do you know someone is a Christian? Confession – ASK! Rom 10:9
Are you are a Christian? How do others know? Is our confession clear?
Make a Statement of Faith (Do it right now!):
“I am a Christian. I believe Jesus Christ is the Son of God and he is my Lord and Savior. I want to live my life for Him, for His will and purpose, and to tell others about Him.”
“I am not sure I am a Christian, but I want to be. Will you pray with me?” (Go to the altar together)
STAND UP FOR JESUS…He stood up for you!