Summary: Putting God First
WHAT ARE YOU COMMITTED TO?
Intro: A. Is that word --- Commitment --- Still applicable in our society today
1. Very much so
2. We are all committed to something --- everybody
B. I believe that the word commitment is as strong or stronger today than ever before
1. The object of commitment may have changed
2. I don’t see a commitment in some people
(a) Some people are committed to being under no commitment
C. We need to examine our own (not others) to make sure we are committed to the right things
I. FIRST --- Committed to God
30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.
31 But rather seek ye the kingdom of God; and all these things shall be added unto you.
A. Real commitment is not part time - Not on a switch - not on again off again
B. Real commitment is not a Sunday thing.
1. 7 days a week, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year --- no vacations or off days
(a) Nothing is more important to you than your first commitment
(b) Your first commitment is your first priority
2. The same person on Monday through Saturday as you are on Sunday
(a) Commitment isn’t something you put on and take off like a suit
3. If we are really committed to God --- It will show
(a) Do others see a real commitment to God in you
II. SECOND --- Commitment to family
A. No small wonder that 50% of all marriages end in divorce
1. Children see no commitment to family from their parents
B. How long since you kissed your spouse and told them " I love you"
1. DO IT ! Then pick them up off of the floor and do it again
C. When was the last time you bought your spouse a gift --- for no reason
1. Don’t you think it’s about time
C. How about your mother or father --- your sister or brother
16 Honour thy father and thy mother, as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee; that thy days may be prolonged, and that it may go well with thee,
1. Have you let them know how much they mean to you
2. Have you actually told them
D. Teach your family by your own example
E. The Bible defines the way a family should be
18 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord.
19 Husbands, love your wives, and be not bitter against them.
20 Children, obey your parents in all things: for this is well pleasing unto the Lord.
1. You may call me a male chauvinist but women’s lib is a tool of Satan to tear the family, as God has ordained it, apart
2. God’s plan will work --- If we work it
(a) A husband has no problem loving a submissive wife
(b) A wife has no problem being submissive to a loving husband
(c) Children will love and honor parents who love them and teach them according to the bible
III. THIRD --- Committed to your church ( hand in hand with # 1 )
A. Committed to Attendance
1. Does your family need to ask " are we going to church today"
2. I grew up in a house with 10 people and one bath - and was on time every Sunday
3. Sundayitus epidemic