Summary: Should the saint be different from the sinner in what they listen to? What are you listening to????? Does it really matter? If no one was listening, what would you listen to? What are you listening to??
WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO????
Should the saint be different from the sinner in what they listen to? What are you listening to?????
Does it really matter? If no one was listening, what would you listen to? What are you listening to??
II. THE EARS -- are more than just sensory organs. They are gates to the heart and soul of man.
A. Attacks on the Ears -> T.V., Music, filthy language, possibly educational institutions, false religions, philosophies, etc.
1. Proverbs 15:31 "The ear that heareth the reproof of life abideth among the wise."
It is the character of a wise man that he is willing to be reproved, and therefore chooses to converse with those that, both by their words and example, will show him what is amiss in him. (M. H.)
Those that learn well, and obey well, are likely in time to teach well and rule well.
Do you hear well? Are you able to learn by being corrected?
2. James 1:22 "But be ye doers (a performer or poet) of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves."
3. Eccl. 5:1 "Keep thy foot when thou goest to the house of God, and be more ready to hear, than to give the sacrifice of fools: for they consider not that they do evil.
a. Keep thy foot -- lest thou take a false step
b. Ponder the path of thy foot
c. Keep your thoughts and affections from roving and wandering
d. Giving sacrifice of fools -- bring not the torn, lame, and sick for sacrifice
Don't bring God the leftovers.
4. Luke 8:15 "But that on the good ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience."
5. Matt. 13:19 "When any one heareth the word of the kingdom , and understandeth it not, then cometh the wicked one, and catcheth away that which was sown in the heart. This is he that receiveth seed by the way side."
If we break not up the fallow ground, by preparing our hearts for the word, and humbling them to it, and engaging our own attention; and if we cover not the see afterwards, by meditation and prayer; if we give not a more earnest heed to the things which we have heard (Heb 2:1-3) , we are as he that received seed by the way side. (M. H.)
Man's heart is like soil, capable of improvement, of bearing good fruit; it is a pity that it should lie fallow, or be like the field of the slothful. (M. H.)
a. How was the seed sown? When one heareth the word.
Rom. 10:17 "So then faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the word of God."
b. Where was the seed sown? That which was sown in the heart.
C. Divisions of Man
a. Webster's -- the whole personality including intellectual as well as emotional functions or traits -- one's innermost being.
b. Vine's -- the word came to stand for man's entire mental and moral activity, both the rational and the emotional elements.
There is a pathway from the ear to the heart.
2. Soul -- the invisible part of all living beings that feels -- the seat of his affections, emotions, passions, and desires, and that which gives him self-consciousness and makes him a sentiment being.
3. Spirit -- is that invisible part of all living beings that knows -- the seat of his intellect, mind, and will, and that gives him self-determination and makes him a free moral agent and a rational being.
D. The Heart
1. Mark 7:20-23 "that which cometh out of a man"
What goes up must come down and what goes in must come out?
2. Prov. 4:23 "Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.
(Something is flowing out.)
3. Luke 6:45 "A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh."
How did it get in the heart? Through the ears or eyes?
E. More Scriptures on Hearing
1. Acts 13:7 "Which was with the deputy of the country, Sergius Paulus a prudent man; who called for Barnabas and Saul, and desired to hear the word of God.
v. 12 "he believed"
2. Acts 13:44 "And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God."
3. I Tim. 4:16 "Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee."