Summary: From the first declaration of a coming deliverer to Adam and Eve in Genesis 3:15 the hearts of men looked longingly for the Promised One. Each looked for something different in the Messiah. When Christ was born in Bethlehem Israel did not receive what the
WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING FOR IN THE NEWBORN KING?
MATTHEW 2:1-2, 11
INTRODUCTION: With the proclamation of the wise men, “Where is he that is born the king of the Jews?”, all the prophecies of the coming Messiah were brought to mind in the nation of Israel. From the first declaration of a coming deliverer to Adam and Eve in Genesis 3:15 the hearts of men looked longingly for the Promised One. Each looked for something different in the Messiah. When Christ was born in Bethlehem Israel did not receive what they were looking for from the newborn King but they had the opportunity to receive far more.
I. Consider for a moment what Israel was looking for in the Newborn King.
A. As the nation of Israel looked forward to the coming of the Messiah they were filled with hopes and expectations, as they were familiar with the many Old Testament prophecies concerning Him and His kingdom.
B. They looked for One Who would RESTORE the kingdom of David in its entire splendor.
1. In 2 Samuel 7:16 God promised David, “And your house and your kingdom shall be established forever before you. Your throne shall be established forever."
2. Isaiah 11:1-5 “There shall come forth a Rod from the stem of Jesse, And a Branch shall grow out of his roots. The Spirit of the Lord shall rest upon Him, The Spirit of wisdom and understanding, The Spirit of counsel and might, The Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the Lord. His delight is in the fear of the Lord, And He shall not judge by the sight of His eyes, Nor decide by the hearing of His ears; But with righteousness He shall judge the poor, And decide with equity for the meek of the earth; He shall strike the earth with the rod of His mouth, And with the breath of His lips He shall slay the wicked. Righteousness shall be the belt of His loins, And faithfulness the belt of His waist.
3. Isaiah 9:6-7 “For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given; And the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Of the increase of His government and peace There will be no end, Upon the throne of David and over His kingdom, To order it and establish it with judgment and justice From that time forward, even forever. The zeal of the Lord of hosts will perform this.”
4. Isaiah 16:5 “In mercy the throne will be established; And One will sit on it in truth, in the tabernacle of David, Judging and seeking justice and hastening righteousness."
C. They looked for One who would OVERTHROW & DEFEAT the Roman Occupation and Oppressors.
1. Isaiah 49:8-9 “Thus says the Lord: "In an acceptable time I have heard You, And in the day of salvation I have helped You; I will preserve You and give You As a covenant to the people, To restore the earth, To cause them to inherit the desolate heritages; That You may say to the prisoners, ’Go forth,’ To those who are in darkness, ’Show yourselves.’ "They shall feed along the roads, and their pastures shall be on all desolate heights.”
2. Christ declared Himself to be the fulfillment of Isaiah’s prophecy in Luke 4:18 when He said, “"The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, Because He has anointed Me To preach the gospel to the poor; He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives And recovery of sight to the blind, To set at liberty those who are oppressed.”
D. They looked for One Who would ESTABLISH peace & prosperity in Israel.
1. Isaiah 14:7 “The whole earth is at rest and quiet; They break forth into singing.
2. Isaiah 11:6-10 “The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, The leopard shall lie down with the young goat, The calf and the young lion and the fatling together; And a little child shall lead them. The cow and the bear shall graze; their young ones shall lie down together; and the lion shall eat straw like the ox. The nursing child shall play by the cobra’s hole, and the weaned child shall put his hand in the viper’s den. They shall not hurt nor destroy in all My holy mountain, For the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Lord As the waters cover the sea. "And in that day there shall be a Root of Jesse, Who shall stand as a banner to the people; For the Gentiles shall seek Him, and His resting place shall be glorious."
3. Zechariah 9:9-10 “"Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion! Shout, O daughter of Jerusalem! Behold, your King is coming to you; He is just and having salvation, Lowly and riding on a donkey, A colt, the foal of a donkey. I will cut off the chariot from Ephraim And the horse from Jerusalem; The battle bow shall be cut off. He shall speak peace to the nations; His dominion shall be ’from sea to sea, And from the River to the ends of the earth.’*