Summary: Do you know Jesus Christ as your shepherd?
Intro. In our text we see
1. The Sender - Jesus is the source and fountain of the Gospel! “I send”
Jesus is about to send them out to do His work. He tells them to pray, for the harvest is great - no sooner did He tell them to pray, but that He announced that they were the very answer to the prayer!!!! The Shepherd sent the Sheep!
2. The Sheep - unworthy and unable taking the greatest message to all.
In our text, it is clear that the sheep belong to Jesus.
3. The Situation - among wolves - This world is not friendly to the Gospel.
The world system is no friend of Grace! But how can we make it?
What chance to Sheep have among wolves? NONE! Without a Shepherd
Now if He sent them, don’t you understand, He goes with them.
The sheep may be “among wolves”, but the Shepherd is close at hand!
Though we are unprotected in our human Strength, it is good to have a Shepherd!
The description of the followers of Christ compared to the inhabitants of the world is quite a contrast! Jesus declared that his followers, the lambs, would be sent among wolves. What is a Wolf? A flesh eating animal of prey, fierce and cruel. Cunning in their attack- watch and plan. Very strong, run in packs, will kill for sport.
What is a Sheep? Sheep are pretty much the most helpless animal on earth.
- They have no defense except to run. (Even a bee has a stinger)
- They do not flinch at being slaughtered, yet they are fearful.
- They cannot sense danger, but when startled, they will stampede.
- They tend to wander from the flock, no sense of direction.
- They have a poor depth perception. For this reason, sheep will avoid shadows or harsh contrasts between light and dark. They will move towards the light. When sheep are on their back they will need to be helped, because they can’t get up from that position.
- Sheep are gregarious, that means they like to be around other sheep.
They are happier in their flock! They are safer in their flock! The sheep need their flock. But that is their comfort, not their hope! In the midst of wolves, the only hope for the sheep, is a shepherd that cares. We have been sent among the wolves, and what chance do sheep have among wolves? Absolutely NO CHANCE without a SHEPHERD!
That is my sermon before I preach it - You and I are in need of the great Shepherd!
I. The Search of the Shepherd - Luke 15:4-7 "What man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he lose one of them, doth not leave the ninety and nine in the wilderness, and go after that which is lost, until he find it?" And when he hath found it, he layeth it on his shoulders, rejoicing. And when he cometh home, he calleth together his friends and neighbours, saying unto them, Rejoice with me; for I have found my sheep which was lost. I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance."
Creation is all God’s, and the hundred sheep represent all. The ninety and nine did not need a Saviour - but the one did - Jesus came to all that need a Saviour!
A. The Desire of the Shepherd - Seek - to look for with desire!
1. The Shepherd Came to Possess.
2. The Shepherd Came to Purchase - There is a Shepherd that wants you! You may feel unwanted, but the Great Shepherd wants you.
B. The Deliverance of the Shepherd - Save - In this we see:
1. The Work of the Shepherd - John 10:11 "I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep."
2. The Watch of the Shepherd - He has watched the 100 and saw ONE that needed Him!
3. The Will of the Shepherd - that the lost are returned to Him.
1Pe 2:24 "Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed. 25 For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls."
Every one that has ever trusted Christ as their Savior, has been the beneficiary of the Care of the Shepherd. Have you the Salvation from the Shepherd? Is He your Shepherd?
II. The Survey of the Shepherd - He is watching over His Sheep.
A. The Danger of Parasites from within.
1. The Sicknesses - most get them from contamination around them!