Summary: Intro: I want to ask a question on this "Back to School Night," but it could also be answered by every other person here today.
Intro: I want to ask a question on this "Back to School Night," but it could also be answered by every other person here today. It is this, "What determines your success in life more than anything else?" Go ahead and think about it.
1. Is it money? NO! There are many wealthy people who are failed at the things that really matter in life. (Woman in NYC)
2. Is it education? NO! There are many highly educated people who have made fools out of themselves in life.
3. Is it opportunity? NO! Some have been in just the right place at just the right time and still have failed miserably.
I don't want to shock you tonight, but it is not even being a Christian that determines whether or not you will be successful in life, for there are a lot of people who claim to be Christians, but have failed miserably in life.
The answer to the question, "What determines your success in life more than anything else, is YOUR ATTITUDE!
I. OUR ATTITUDE DETERMINES OUR APPROACH TO LIFE
A. Prov. 23:7, "As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he."
B. We are individually responsible for our outlook on life.
C. It would be impossible to estimate
1. The number of youth who have dropped out of school.
2. The number jobs which have been lost.
3. The number of promotions missed.
4. The number of marriages ruined BY SORRY ATTITUDES!
D. But almost daily we witness
1. Jobs that are held but hated.
2. Marriages that are tolerated but unhappy.
3. People who have many acquaintances but few friends, all because they are waiting for others, or the world, to change. Well, sir, the world is not going to change to fit your mold! Young person, you have to change your attitude!
E. You need some class, when it comes to dealing with people in life. READ THE DEFINITION OF CLASS.
II. OUR ATTITUDE DETERMINES OUR RELATIONSHIP WITH OTHER PEOPLE.
A. Your success in life is tied more to your A.Q. than I.Q.
B. Your emotional age is more important in life than your physical age.
C. Your attitude and your ability to "just get along" with other people will many times be the only difference between your success and failure in relationships. And your ability to maintain relationships with others will determine your true success at work, at home, and in life. MATT. 7:12.
III. OUR ATTITUDE CAN TURN OUR PROBLEMS INTO BLESSINGS.
A. Joseph learned this. He learned how to forget!
B. Paul learned this. Phil 4:11-13.
C. The future looks bright when your attitude is right.
IV. OUR ATTITUDE IS NOT AUTOMATICALLY GOOD JUST BECAUSE WE ARE CHRISTIANS.
A. It has to be cultivated. That's why Paul spoke these words in Phil 2:3-8:
1. DO THINGS FOR THE RIGHT REASON, v. 3
2. REGARD OTHERS AS MORE IMPORTANT THAN YOURSELF, v. 3
3. DO WHAT IS BEST FOR EVERYONE ELSE, RATHER THAN SELFISHLY TRYING TO PLEASE YOURSELF, v. 4
4. CHRIST SERVED BOTH GOD AND MAN, v. 6
5. CHRIST WAS NOT POWER HUNGRY, v. 6, BUT RATHER DENIED HIMSELF IN SERVICE TO OTHERS.
Conclusion: Those of your going back to school tomorrow need to remember, what will make this year a success for you. It is having the mind of Christ, which is a good attitude towards your parents, your teachers, and your future.