Summary: This sermon looks at Jesus' teaching about marriage & divorce
“WHAT DID JESUS SAY ABOUT MARRIAGE?” Matt. 19:1-12
INTRO – Annual life insurance policy notice – “Note: A change in marital status could necessitate a new beneficiary designation. Please contact your agent if your marital status has changed.”
I think we can safely say that the status of marriage in America has definitely changed – and NOT for the better!
- Our government has gotten involved in the society shifting decision to redefine marriage to legitimize & legalize same-sex marriage.
o Just this past wk, a district judge in PA struck down that state’s ban on gay marriage. Washington Post article: “Judicial victories for gay marriage are coming almost daily now.” Said the decision broke “new doctrinal ground” (http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2014/05/20/federal-judge-strikes-down-pennsylvania-ban-on-same-sex-marriage/).
- The ease of divorce – Did a Google search for “easy divorce” – 1st page had websites & ads that made these types of statements:
o “Easy online divorce – Doing your own divorce is easy”
o “Quickie divorce”
o “Completed divorce in 3 easy steps”
o “Do It Yourself Divorce Kits”
o “Divorce online is fast & easy”
o “$89 Divorce Pkg – Call now!”
- Reality TV has jumped on the polygamy bandwagon w/ shows like “Sister Wives” & “My Five Wives.” Fox News website had this to say about “My Five Wives”: “Their show begins airing in a social and political climate that has softened significantly toward plural families in recent years.”
- Cohabitation/Living together – This trend is growing more & more all the time. Unmarried couples living together in unprecedented numbers now. One report I read said that 2/3 of new marriages in the US start in cohabitation. It’s the new normal for most marriages in our society today.
o Rachel’s conversation w/ nurses at work.
So, as we’ve noted, it’s pretty obvious to even the most casual observer that the status of marriage in our society today is changing, & not for the better. When we consider the status of marriage in our society today, it has some interesting effects on us as Christ-followers:
- Fires us up – Makes us mad as we see more & more opposition to the truth of God’s Word. Sometimes it’s hard to remember Eph. 6:12 – “We are not fighting against humans. We are fighting against forces and authorities and against rulers of darkness and powers in the spiritual world” (GNT).
- Freaks us out – Just can’t believe that we are seeing these things happen in our society. And can’t believe how rapidly things are changing.
- Frightens us for the future – Can’t help but wonder what kind of long-term effects these changes are going to have on our kids, grandkids, our communities, the church, our laws as a nation, & other areas of our lives.