Summary: To Help others come to a Full Understanding of What They Owe Their Home Congregation
WHAT DO I OWE MY HOME CONGREGATION?
1. Too many folks in the world tie themselves to one building.
2. When they tie themselves to one building, they tie the Lord to it as well!
3. We live in a world of individuality; a world where we want to do as we please.
4. We are free to do, go, and say as we please as long as it is in accordance with the teachings of Jesus Christ.
5. But if we have this incredible set of freedoms is there a price?
6. Most certainly we have obligations to the church abroad;
i. Conduct ourselves as to not bring reproach upon the church. (1 Tim 3:7)
ii. Participate in good works at every opportunity. (Titus 3:1)
iii. Support Gospel meetings abroad; (i.e. those we can attend)
7. But these obligations cannot in any way hinder the work where you call HOME!
8. We are under a solemn obligation to the extent of our ability in all these things mentioned today:
i. But unto our home congregation we are under a special obligation!
What do I owe my home congregation?
1. I want my home congregation to radiate a wholesome influence on our community!
a. Therefore “I owe it the example of my good life”
b. For my home congregation I must live “soberly, righteously, and Godly”
13 Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men.
14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
15 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.
16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven
2. I want strangers who enter the door of this meeting house to feel at home.
a. To learn to love us; and to return from time to time.
b. They are our guests, and I must entertain them!
c. “I owe to them and the church to show myself friendly”
d. I must not stand back and wait for others to great them, this “I” must do!
i. Heb 13:2 Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares
ii. Abraham did! (Gen 18) Lot did! (Gen 19)
1. Abraham entertained the Son of God himself and didn’t realize it
2. Jesus said treat these folks as you would treat him~
a. Matt 25:35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
3. No congregation can make progress without faithful and efficient leaders.
a. To a certain extent, the members of the church make or break their leaders
b. To the end that our leaders may be stronger and more efficient;
i. “I must give them my support”
c. As long as they are true men, I must not embarrass them in their work.
i. 1 Tim 3:16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness:
4. My home congregation has financial obligations
a. Which are due at regular intervals.
b. Whether I give or not to give; the obligation still must be paid.
c. If it is right for my congregation to pay its obligations each week; then “It is right for me to give each week”
d. Though circumstances may force me to be absent at times; my contributions must still find their way to the treasury of the church.
i. 1 Cor 16:1-2 Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given order to the churches of Galatia, even so do ye. Upon the first day of the week let every one of you lay by him in store, as God hath prospered him, that there be no gatherings when I come.
5. I know the very existence of any congregation depends on the attendance of its members.
a. In fact, attendance is the very life of the church!
b. For this reason, “I must attend the services” ~ all the services I can!
c. For all the time that I have, I would not have it said that my home congregation perished because I would not attend the meetings!
i. Heb 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
6. I want my congregation to grow, to multiply in numbers.