Summary: A look at what God says about the sanctity of human life.
WHAT DOES GOD SAY?
On January 22, 1973, the U.S. Supreme Court handed down a 7-2 decision in Roe vs.Wade that legalized abortion. Since then over 40 million babies have been slain in what should be the most protected place on earth-the mother’s womb. But what does God say about this? Read 20:13…..
Three things really stood out in the news this week. One, was the confirmation hearings for Attorney General, John Ashcroft. The liberals oppose him for his stand for ‘life’. Then there is the local murder trial of Sarah Nickels, right here in our back yard. She along with Kevin Bergin, and John Ridgeway are charged for beating to death her mother. Then, the commercial breaks between all this headline news is "If someone has done you wrong, just call Ken Nugent or Massey and Massey; we’ll get what you deserve." (lawyer commercials). Abortion, Murder, and Lawsuits. 3 topics all within 10 min. on your local news. What does God say about all this?
1. ABORTION 21:22-24
· What do the doctors say about abortion? Listen to this: "I will give no deadly drug to any, though it be asked of me, nor will I counsel such, and especially I will not aid a woman to procure abortion." Do you know where that statement came from? It is from the Hippocratic Oath, a solemn promise made by physicians upon entering their profession. It comes from
Hippocrates the Greek physician who lived 400 years before Christ. [World Magazine, p.30 1/22/00]
Although involved in the Greek gods, he was an early pro-lifer who was countercultural in his day. Most doctors today remain queasy about abortion, accepting it in principle but refusing to practice it and often looking down on their colleagues who do.
· What does our government say? On Sept.30,1999 House of Representatives passed a bill called the Unborn Victims of Violence Act -HR 2436. It’s a win a battle, still losing the war kind of bill. It protects the unborn children, but explicitly says that "it does not permit the prosecution of any person for conduct relating to an abortion for which the consent of the pregnant woman was obtained."[GRTL Life Issues, Nov.Dec.1999] So, as usual, our government speaks out of both sides of its mouth. Kill a pregnant woman-that’s murder. Perform an abortion-that’s not. Go
figure. (Late note, NFL football player Rae Carruth, former Carolina Panther, shot his pregnant
girlfriend. She died 12/14/99. The baby was born premature. 1/19/01-one of the charges against
him is "using an instrument…w/intent to destroy a child.") [CNN]
· What do the pro-abortionist say? What are their excuses? They say it gives women a choice. Baloney! The reason they are having the abortion is ‘cause they’ve run out of
choices. They say it solves the problem. Baloney! The baby is not the problem. The problem is
broken relationships, sex out of wedlock etc. It’s a child, not a choice. They say some just can’t
afford another child. That’s ridiculous. When your funds run low are you going to kill your 5
year old and 10 year old? There are plenty would be parents out there that can’t have children who can afford that baby and will adopt him/her. A side note on this one: Of all the abortions in Georgia in 1998, 82% had a high school education or higher-not your poor uneducated crowd.
(40%-H.S. 42% College). (60 were residents of this county.)
· But what does God say? Look at 21:22ff. Sounds clear to me. God says that baby is life!
And it’s life for life. It’s murder and it’s a capital offense. Why? Since humans are made in the image of God, no money or property settlement can atone for the premeditated destruction of the image of God. And here the unborn fetus is just as much a living human being as its mother. And for the life of me I can not understand why some Christians will knowingly vote for a person who blatantly, in your face, says he’s pro-choice. My friend, God has spoken on abortion, and He says, "it’s not an option; it’s murder."
2. CAPITAL PUNISHMENT vs.23 cp.vs.12-14
Look at vs.12. Here lies the basis of capital punishment. However, in ancient Israel, as in our
day, cases often had mitigating circumstances that might weigh against the death penalty. For instance-vs.13. Accidental murder. This person could escape to one of the cities of refuge, often for life or until the High Priest dies.(see Numb.35:25-28 & Joshua 20). But when its pre-meditated, it’s life for life. Why? Genesis 9:6
Whoever sheds man’s blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God He made man. We are made in the image of God and no money or property settlement can atone for the premeditated destruction of God’s image in them. Jerry Falwell made a remarkable statement concerning this: "Jesus had the perfect platform to speak out against capital punishment at the cross, and He didn’t…" Why? Because when you kill, you destroy the image of God and He