Summary: An outline and supporting arguements for what God requires from every believer
Understanding The Will Of God Series
“What Does God Want?”
Micah 6:(1-7) 8
· ILL.: A preacher tested a young boy from his church when he said, ‘Son, I will give you an apple if you can tell me what God knows. The boy thought for a minute and then replied, ‘Preacher, I’ll give you a barrel of apples, if you tell me what God doesn’t know!’
· When it comes to the will of God for your life, who better to ask for help in discover it than God Himself.
· Although it is fairly easy to search the scriptures and find verse about the will of God, it is far more difficult to actually DO the will of God for your life!
· So, what does God want you to do?
I. Do Justly
A. This means to do the right thing, Gen. 18:25
1. Ps. 25:9 The meek will he guide in judgment (rightness): and the meek will he teach his way.
B. This means to live for a cause, Lam. 3
1. Lam. 3:59 O LORD, thou hast seen my wrong: judge thou my cause.
2. Question: If Heaven wasn’t real; and Hell wasn’t real, …
a. Would you still want to be a Christian?
b. Would you still go to church?
c. Would you still love Jesus?
d. Would you still do RIGHT?
II. Love Mercy
A. Mercy is defined as ‘kindness’; ‘favour’; ‘good deed’; ‘compassion’
1. The word ‘mercy’ is used nearly 300 times in the Bible
a. ‘Grace’ 176 times
b. “forgive’ 112 times
c. ‘hell’ 54 times
2. To fully understand ‘mercy’ we must remember that it was ‘grace’ and ‘mercy’ that saved us, and keeps us in Christ!
a. Grace and Mercy are the Heaven Tag-Team partners in our prayer lives, Heb. 4:16
“Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.”
b. Grace and Mercy give us a common faith, Tit. 1:4
To Titus, mine own son after the common faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ our Saviour.
B. It is God’s will for His children to LOVE mercy
1. We do this by sharing His grace, not judgment
2. We do this by sharing His forgiveness, not blame
3. We do this by sharing His patience, not irritations
4. We do this by sharing His kindness, not our harshness
5. We does this by sharing Him holiness, not our fleshliness
III. Walk Humbly With Your God
A. To do this, both parties have to be going the same direction
· You will never learn to walk with God, until you know which way He is going, and then you change YOUR course to match His
B. To do this, both parties have to be going at the same pace
· In order to walk humbly with God, you must match His pace (speed, tempo) and stop getting ahead of or falling behind Him
C. To do this, both parties have to be going to the same destination
· If you want true fellowship with God, make sure you’re going to His final destination
D. To do this, both parties have to be going for the same purpose
· Why are you walking humbly with God? The purpose for this action is to get and stay in His perfect will for your live. The moment you start ‘walking with God’ for any other purpose, you are no longer doing His will. (This speaks to motive)
E. To do this, both parties have to be going under the same power
· Since God is operating under a spiritual power, the only way for your to walk humbly with Him is to do the same. The instance you begin operating under the power of the flesh, is the instance you stop walking with God.
· There’s a saying, ‘God don’t like ugly’ Well, here’s another: ‘God don’t like fleshly’
· You cannot 1) do justly, 2) Love mercy, and 3) walk humbly with your God is you have unconfessed sin in your life!
· God’s will for your life CAN be known, Should be known, and Must be known. If by some chance, He allows you to understand that same will, that, my friend, is His grace being shown forth in your life!