Summary: The past, present, and future of this great nation--GOD BIRTHED IT, GOD IS BLESSING IT, & GOD WILL BLAST IT IF NEEDED. Link included to Formatted Text and Powerpoint.
America: Past, Present, and Future
Formatted text and PowerPoint for this and hundreds more free sermons using this link...
We must never forget what God has done in the past for America. We must have our eyes opened to see what God is doing for America in the present. Then we must realize what God will do to America in the future.
I. WHAT GOD HAS DONE FOR AMERICA.
A. God Birthed America.
We sing, “My County Tis of Thee”
1. First colonies – Jamestown, Va. First community bldg was a church. Only bldg with wall still standing.
2. Puritans first act at Plymouth Rock = kneel, praise and dedicate new colony.
3. Roger Williams (Bapt. Minister) est. Rhode Island.
4. Lord Baltimore held church service in establishing Maryland.
5. William Penn (Quaker) est. Penn, NY, DEL, Conn, NC, SC, Georgia.
Ill. -- When you read their writings you see no doubt that God birthed America.
6. Will Penn in writing gov’t policies for PA made sure “all treasurers, judges, and all elected officials professed faith in Christ.”
The U.S. Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals agreed this week with a Federal trial court that the Ten Commandments memorial placed in the rotunda of
The Alabama Judicial Building by state Supreme Court Chief Justice Roy Moore must be removed.
Judge Moore authorized the memorial as a reminder that the biblical laws stand as the moral groundwork of American law.
Our Founding Fathers consistently spoke of the need for utilizing the Bible and Judeo-Christian values in defining and preserving this nation:
* Twelve of the original 13 colonies incorporated the entire Ten Commandments into their civil and criminal codes.
* President John Adams stated, "The law given from Sinai was a civil and municipal code as well as a moral and religious code. These are laws essential to the existence of men in society and most of which have been enacted by every Nation which ever professed any code of laws. Vain
indeed would be the search among the writings of secular history to find so broad, so complete and so solid a basis of morality as the Ten Commandments lay down." (Note that the American Bible Society was started by an act of Congress and John Adams, our second president, served as its first leader.)
Our laws based on 10 commandments and Bible.
Supreme Court bldg - built 1935 – carved on front Moses and Ten Commandments. [justices must enter back way!]
House of Representatives - across speakers’ seat – sculpture of Moses.
* President George Washington said, "It is impossible to govern the world without God and the Bible. Of all dispositions and habits that lead to political prosperity, our religion and morality are indispensable supporters."
* In 1782, the U.S. Congress voted in favor of a resolution recommending and approving the Bible for use in the schools.
* Henry Laurens, fourth president of the Continental Congress, stated, "I had the honor of being one who framed the Constitution. In order effectually to accomplish these great constitutional ends, it is especially the duty of those who bear rule to promote and encourage respect for God