Summary: Looking at the various aspects of the salvation event.
January 1979 in a college dorm room in Stillwater Oklahoma at the age of 20 life’s most important moment happened for me.
1) It was followed up 7 ½ months later when I walked the right aisle, come all the way from the third row from the back at Eastwood Baptist Church in Tulsa Oklahoma.
2) Paul quotes the book of Joel when he states, ‘Whoever will call upon the Name of the Lord will be saved’(13)
LIGHT BULB: seems simple but actually is very complicated process: transmission towers…substations…dam built holding back water….wires strung..Tremendous complecxity behind a simple momentary act. SALVATION seems simple but behind is lies great complexity: mystery of the cross, Incarnation, miracle of the resurrection, Coming of the Holy Spirit, events of life orchastrated under God’s sovereign hand, prayers of believers.
Call upon the Name of the Lord: How does this miracle happen? It is more than just words but it is a moment of faith, an act of grace that truly effects a new nature within us.
1) What is involved in bringing people to a place where they cry out to God in a sense of need and desperation and are saved?
Scriptures used as a basis for the churches missionary program. Go from recognizing God’s sovereign control in chapt 9 to God’s command to go and aggresively and personally participate in the process of people coming to know Him.
PEOPLE HAVE TO BELIEVE (14) How then will they call on Him in whom they have not believed?
1. Salvation has to come to this end: JESUS. It is to call on HIM, to believe in him.
b. It is more than just words but to call on Him from a heart of belief. Jn 6:28-29 What must we do so that we may work the works of God? This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent.
2. The basis for people believing is for Christians to have an effective witness:
a. Understandable: be ready to make a defense of the hope that lies within you – have your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel.
b. Credible: backed up by your life: Our words make the gospel understandable but our lives make it believable.
1) Eastwood crusade counseling young man
2) Brother’s #1 reason for not believing is because of what he sees when he turns on so-called Christian TV.
c. Powerful: A witness bathed in prayer, in combination with the convicting power of the Holy Spirit.
d. Aggressive: On the march, don’t have to be cornered to share the truth, Going….reaching…seeking the lost.
‘The Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost’
PEOPLE NEED TO HEAR: How will they believe in Him whom they have not heard?
1. People have to hear! People won’t be saved unless people care enough to tell them the gospel.
2. Hear means to hear with understanding. Not just standing behind home plate with a sign reading JOHN 3:16.
PEOPLE NEED TO SHARE: And how will they hear without a preacher?
1. Not ‘preacher’ as we understand the word but kerusso ‘to announce or proclaim something’ Someone who is willing to be a voice for God.
Pastoring is like being on the weather channel. When I definitely want to hear the weather I turn there. When dangerous weather occurs the weather bullitens are on multiple channels. It is too important a news to limit to one station. God didn’t limit the gospel to one station, people should know that if they tune us in by being here each service they will hear it but the most effective outlet is when it should up in the life of ordinary Christians. To many people I am a hired gun but you are a satisfied customer.
Gospel Blimp: 5,000 to drops tracts from helicopter over the plant where I work so everybody could hear. Take some tracts and take some time and share the gospel.
2. Am I sharing my faith? Am I being a voice for God.
a. Question is not ‘Are people saved if no one tells them about Jesus but Am I saved if I don’t tell’
b. What are you selling? Sport’s team, TV Program or Movie(don’t miss, you should have seen), Diet(changed my life, Green stuff) You are telling the world about something meaningful to you, what is it? Is it Jesus?
PEOPLE NEED TO SEND: (15) And how will they preach unless they are sent?
1. Sharing the gospel demands the involvement of the entire body of Christ. God has given each of at least one of many possible gifts. Intention is that we work together to accomplish the task of the Great Commission.