Summary: Looking at the various aspects of the salvation event.
January 1979 in a college dorm room in Stillwater Oklahoma at the age of 20 life’s most important moment happened for me.
1) It was followed up 7 ½ months later when I walked the right aisle, come all the way from the third row from the back at Eastwood Baptist Church in Tulsa Oklahoma.
2) Paul quotes the book of Joel when he states, ‘Whoever will call upon the Name of the Lord will be saved’(13)
LIGHT BULB: seems simple but actually is very complicated process: transmission towers…substations…dam built holding back water….wires strung..Tremendous complecxity behind a simple momentary act. SALVATION seems simple but behind is lies great complexity: mystery of the cross, Incarnation, miracle of the resurrection, Coming of the Holy Spirit, events of life orchastrated under God’s sovereign hand, prayers of believers.
Call upon the Name of the Lord: How does this miracle happen? It is more than just words but it is a moment of faith, an act of grace that truly effects a new nature within us.
1) What is involved in bringing people to a place where they cry out to God in a sense of need and desperation and are saved?
Scriptures used as a basis for the churches missionary program. Go from recognizing God’s sovereign control in chapt 9 to God’s command to go and aggresively and personally participate in the process of people coming to know Him.
PEOPLE HAVE TO BELIEVE (14) How then will they call on Him in whom they have not believed?
1. Salvation has to come to this end: JESUS. It is to call on HIM, to believe in him.
a. Acts 4:12 (quickview)  There is no other Name under heaven by which we may be saved/Acts 16:30-31 (quickview)  What must I do to be saved? Believe on the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be
b. It is more than just words but to call on Him from a heart of belief. Jn 6:28-29 What must we do so that we may work the works of God? This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent.
2. The basis for people believing is for Christians to have an effective witness:
a. Understandable: be ready to make a defense of the hope that lies within you – have your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel.
b. Credible: backed up by your life: Our words make the gospel understandable but our lives make it believable.
1) Eastwood crusade counseling young man
2) Brother’s #1 reason for not believing is because of what he sees when he turns on so-called Christian TV.
c. Powerful: A witness bathed in prayer, in combination with the convicting power of the Holy Spirit.
d. Aggressive: On the march, don’t have to be cornered to share the truth, Going….reaching…seeking the lost.
‘The Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost’
PEOPLE NEED TO HEAR: How will they believe in Him whom they have not heard?
1. People have to hear! People won’t be saved unless people care enough to tell them the gospel.
PEOPLE NEED TO SHARE: And how will they hear without a preacher?